Forum: Carrara

Subject: Simple Features That Would Add Value To Carrara Without Exorbitant Costs...

dr_bernie opened this issue on Oct 05, 2013 · 38 posts

DarwinsMishap posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 1:23 PM

I disagree with these:

"5. In the Render Room, there is a 'Full Raytracing' checkbox at the top of the options. This option is off by default, because raytracing was slow with 50 MHz 486 CPU's, so it had to be turned-off for quick test renders.

But with today's fast CPU's, this option does not make sense anymore. Let he renderer use raytracing all the time, and use Embree to speed-up its operations.

As a comparison, Shade's renderer, which is a jaw-dropping world-class renderer, does raytracing by default and Path Tracing as an option. You cannot turn-off raytracing in Shade. Obviously Shade's renderer belongs to 21st century, and it shows.

6. In the same Render Room, Under the 'Indirect Light' option, there is an 'Interpolation' checkbox which is checked by default with a default precision value of 10%. This feature made sense when PC's were slow, but with today's PC, it can be eliminated to rejuvenate Carrara. Let the renderer calculate GI or AO without interpolation. The renderer can become slower, but fortunately, as I mentioned above, there is Embree to come to the rescue.

These were some of the outdated features in Carrara that I think should be eliminated. There are some others that I will make the subject of a future post."

I do not agree with all of those:

One: Not everyone has up to date "Today's PC" to work with.  There are more than you think of the older, crankier systems being used (very, very carefully) in these programs.  Killing options like 5 and 6 can kill those user's options of using the program altogether.

Two: I happen to have Carrara run test renders while working on a different scene in Poser 10 and LuxRender rendering yet another scene at the same time.  I like the option of working multiple programs at once, and the additional work with the tests in raytrace could put a kink in that.  Not only that, but not everyone tests with Raytrace lights on.  Nor does everyone want too.

Three: EMBREE......this can be a plug in rather than an additional in house render system; again, I prefer to have my options open instead of being stuck with one or two in-house rendering systems. 

Four: Most "professional" modelers and rendering houses do not go to Carrara for their projects.  Hate to say it, but since 2007 (when I started using these programs), the "standard" programs are generally over a grand to purchase one license to use.  Modo, Maya, Vue and C4D for example.  VRay, Octane, Maxwell, and Indigo are usually the standards you'll see used in various movie/tv/commerical products.

Either way, there is always more than one way to do something- Yes?