Forum: Carrara

Subject: The Ask Dr Stan Thread:

headwax. opened this issue on Oct 03, 2013 · 105 posts

evilproducer posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 9:41 PM

Quote - I've worked with it a bit but don't seem to get it. I can load M4 and paint the weightmap on him, but it doesn't seem to do anything when posing so I assume I did something wrong.

The fun part is carrara is set to save or load a .cwm, or carrara weight map. I can only assume since nothing has ever been done with it, it doesn't work; and not just for me. So if it worked, if you could make and save out a .cwm, and load one, someone would have done mil4 weightmaps by now.

Weight mapping in carrara is something I can't find much info on and confuses me fast.

Ironically, if I recall correctly, you can only save weight maps in Carrara for Poser style figures with Poser style rigging.

You can't save the maps for Carrara rigged objects which seems really dumb. The best work around is to makes sure the rig is just as you want it, meaning it's scaled correctly and lines up with the mesh you're attaching it to. Do all that before attaching the rig. Then weight paint, saving  often. If it's particularly involved, then save different iterations so that you can jump back to a previou state if needed.

I've noticed that joint influences can be keyframed, so be aware of that when weight painting. Nothing worse to find than a stray, nested keyframe hiding somewhere that screwed a render! On the plus side, keframeable influences have save my bacon once or twice.