Forum: Carrara

Subject: Simple Features That Would Add Value To Carrara Without Exorbitant Costs...

dr_bernie opened this issue on Oct 05, 2013 · 38 posts

mmoir posted Wed, 04 December 2013 at 10:02 PM

MaxxxModelz,

I model almost exclusively in Carrara and although I agree with some of what you say about selection tools in carrara but by no means should Daz ditch the Vertex Modeler.  

Carrara does have a Symmetry tool , it is in the VM rooms Property Panel,Model Tab and you can choose whatever axis you want to use symmetry in. Not all of the tools can be used with the symmetry tool on but it is very usefull.

I don't know what the Inset tool does but by your description wouldn't using "Extract Along" work here, it is in the Model Menu tab or icon at the top of the VM room gui. You could also use the "Extract Around" tool too.

Cheers,

Mike

Quote - A polygon "Inset" command.  I mean, it has a dynamic extrusion tool, which is far more complex (although I found it awkward to control), but no simple inset tool?  Strange.  Insetting is probably one of the most useful tools in polygon modeling.  It's basically a bevel without extrusion.

A modeling symmetry tool.  This is one I couldn't believe wasn't in there, but I searched the docs and couldn't find it, so I'm assuming it isn't.  Modeling with symmetry is a must for any serious modeling work, and is a staple in most modeling apps I've used.  Very handy and productive feature.

There's quite a few more simple things, but I'll leave it up to the users.  Doesn't seem like modeling in Carrara is a priority, and I see why actually.  Perhaps, if there's no interest to improve it, then simply do away with the modeling module altogether, and free up the resources for the other main features you guys want most?