Forum: Animation

Subject: resolution

darquevision opened this issue on Dec 19, 2013 · 5 posts

MikeMoss posted Thu, 19 December 2013 at 10:14 AM

Attached Link: https://vimeo.com/user20393565/videos/

Hi

I've done animation in Poser for a long time and I've experimented a lot with different formats and rendering techniques.

What I've finally settled on for most things I do is either 1600 by 900 or 1280 by 720, at 30 fps.

If I want a really high quality output then I go to 1920 by 1080.

The secret is, don't use the firefly renderer, instead output your video using the Preview Renderer, and just spend the time to make it look right there.

Set the texture resolution to 4,096 so that you get nice clean detail and turn off Hardware Shading and Antialising.

This reduces the output time for the video to a fraction of the time that it takes using firefly.

I can output 3,000 frames of video (about a minute and a half) in abut 15 to 20 minutes, instead of literally, hours for the same clip.

The animation is more about the animation then the rendering.  If at some point you want to render your video you can always come back and do it later, but I usually do a clip many times before I get exactly what I want.

The larger size i.e. 1920 by 1080 compensates for the lower complexity of the rendering to some extent, plus what you see in the preview window is what you get when you output it.  It still takes a fraction of the time that it would take to do a much smaller animation in Firefly.

Here's a link to some of my videos, so you can judge for yourself whether the rendering is good enough or not for what you want to do.

I edit the movies in Premier Elements 12, one nice feature is that if you redo your render later, and name it the same, PE will place the new one into your video automatically you don't have to go back and reedit the final video again.  You can use this feature to make stereo 3D video by substituting the left, right eye clips.

When done I output the final video from PE at what ever resolution is suitable for the use, but I always output a master video at the full resolution of the original.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?