Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: still image render vs. make movie render

splinefit opened this issue on Dec 19, 2013 · 17 posts

Dale B posted Sat, 21 December 2013 at 2:44 PM

Quote -  

Thanks for the good info.  I'll be looking into the various editors out there.  I read over what you wrote a few times to try to understand it, I think I'm getting what you're talking about, makes a lot of sense.   I haven't looked yet so maybe I'll find it quickly but how do you specify a hard drive to store the renders?  Are you talking about external hard drive? 

On my setup, I have both. I use the internal for storing active projects, and when I finish a sequence I back it up onto an external drive that stays powered down until I need it (I keep the graphics programs off the C: drive; in fact, the only things that should be on C: is the OS, the codecs you use, and any web plugins that -have- to be there. Otherwise, the cleaner you keep it, the smoother your system will run). Terabyte hard drives for desktop internal use are around $90. External drives depend; usually the cheapest solution (ultimately) is to buy a good USB external drive box (those average between $20 to $50, tend to be aluminum, and are reuseable if the drive dies) then shop for the drive to go in it (like right now, newegg is running a sale on a Seagate 3Terabyte SATA 3 drive for $119.00). The benefit of this is the empty frames can be opened, you can see any defects in manufacturing, they are self powered, so as long as you have access to an outlet, it won't kill your laptop if you are using it on one (laptops can be used, but rendering software will drive the heat through the roof. Only 3D games are harder on portables. They are great for setting things up, but a desktop you can build to handle the rough treatment. 

Actually specifying location is a function of the program. When you start the make movie process, you should get a dialog box that shows where Poser (or other progam) will save the output by default; almost certainly in my documents on C. Just back up until you see Computer, expand it so you see all your drives, select the drive you want, then the folder within that drive. Hit okay and away you go (assuming a windows box, of course. Not familiar with Mac, but the process is the same)