Forum: Carrara

Subject: Why are Carrara freebies so rare?

x2000 opened this issue on Sep 25, 2001 ยท 21 posts

Kixum posted Tue, 25 September 2001 at 5:33 PM

Well this turned out way long so don't read it if you're not in the mood for my life story. I've even included headers for the subjects. Shader Trees: It seems to me that the previous comment about uploading a picture of your shader tree is almost as good as getting a shader. What we don't have is a specific spot for shader tree images. As for models, I can understand issues pertaining to ownership, copywrite, etc.. The integrity of Carrara/Raydream users: I also sympathize with comments concerning Carrara users being people who are interested in building a lot more stuff in a lot more enivironments than other software packages. We're sort of a small loner group out there who has gone through a pretty painful process or waiting for Carrara to be reborn out of the fire. I personally suspect that the number of Carrara users who held on by their last layer of atoms at the tip of their fingernails to be rescued by Eovia are smaller in numbers than most other softwares. I also think we're a pretty impressive group of 3D artists with a lot of talent and I think this forum has been pretty cool about getting help to people who ask for it. Concerning Free Stuff: It seems that it should be possible to sell stuff for the cost of production. I'd probably be willing to assemble a cd full of my stuff called "Kixums Kitchen Sink" and sell it for the cost of the media and shipping ($2.00?) but I would only sell 2 copies I'm sure. What would be even cooler is if somebody on the forum who might have the time assemble the "Renderosity Carrara Kitchen Sink" and sold that on the site for a song ($2.00?). While that's a huge amount of effort, it could be something cool that could be done as an annual project. It could include artwork too. If we allowed 10 Megs of stuff per person, we could get over 60 peoples worth of contributions. If other people think that would be worth it, they should speak up. Conclusion: Well that's everything. I would say that if we go on for a while, more free stuff will appear but it's going to take some time. Carrara/Raydream is a resurrected ghost and we're just trying to deal.

-Kix