Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is hobby 3D a dyng art?

vilters opened this issue on Mar 06, 2014 · 177 posts

ssgbryan posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 12:10 PM

Quote - Poser needs new content. Without it, its users go elsewhere.

~Shane

Good luck with that.  Depending on vendors is an exercise in futility.

From what I have seen and heard from vendors over the past decade, they aren't interested in "new" anything; they just want to continue to make variations of what they have made before.

What is worse, vendors have sown the seeds of their own destruction by taking a "I'm an artist, I only make what I am interested in." attitude towards the potential customer base. They have no interest in making content for any figure not named V4.  Herein lies the problem.....

My V4 Clothing runtime is over 51Gb, why should I buy your new hookerware?  What does it do better?

My V4 figure runtime is over 25Gb, why should I buy your new 20 year old white girl - that looks just like the last half dozen that you have released?

My Hair runtime is almost 35Gb, what makes yours better than what I already have?. (In the case of 3Dreams Master Skull Cap series, the answer is "I got character fits for every figure you have ever heard of, and quite a few that you haven't." - Which is why I am buying them all.

So, just what should I be buying?  Genesis?  Characters - over 90% of them are young Caucasian girls - don't need those (See V4 above). The only vendor I know of that has made more than 1 or 2 ethnic characters for the golum is Male3dia.  Clothing for the golum is the same as V4, hookerware, high medieval fantasy & SF fantasy.  Been there, got that already.

Non-Daz figures?  If vendors refuse to support a figure, I put the fitting room to work, and the money that the vendor could have gotten goes to dollarshaveclub.com

SM's response to vendors ignoring any figure not named V4 was adding the fitting room to Poser.  Ruh-Roh, Shaggy.

This is why I have invested in products like Netherworks Hair Control System, Batch Material Converter, and products like Texture Transformer & Texture Converter 1 & 2.  I am also busy with Poser web seminars, where I can learn more about how to make content. I am looking to leverage content I already own, because vendors don't want to make content for any figure not named V4.

In addition to this, every month I add vendors to my "DO NOT BUY FROM" list because of their aggressive unwillingness to let Poser 4 & DOS go.

Why?  Because I am tired of having to spend anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours unscrewing products that I have purchased.  My mantra is "If you make your products hard to use, I am less likely to buy from you in the future."