Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Free modelling sw that's good for architectural props?

grosporina opened this issue on Mar 06, 2014 ยท 47 posts

charlie43 posted Thu, 06 March 2014 at 8:23 PM

Making holes in Blender utilizes Boolean operations, and it is the one thing I don't like about Blender. There are workarounds, but they can cause difficulties in DAZ Studio and Blender. The biggest disadvantage in making holes with Boolean modifiers is that it tends to create a lot of trigons, which everyone nows DAZ and Poser hates. I used Neal Hirsigs method of making a doorway in a castle I am working on and generally whenever I am getting somewhere with any modeling task I take the OBJ into DAZ and Poser to see how it is going to look as far as scale, texturing, etc. Hirsig's method caused a real error in DAZ, and the good looking doorway I had created turned into a real fiasco, with the doorway collapsing into a triangle insted of the archway I had modeled. Sp much for that!. Still, I think Blender is the best example of a software app that is free and can do many things. With the advent of the newer versions, the UI is much cleaner and more intuitive. Another good thing about Blender is the myriad of tutorials and documentation that is so easily found online. I made a concious decision to stick with Blender two years ago, even though I have Lightwave, Modo 301, Wings 3D, Truespace. Hexagon and 3DS Max. I DO get frustrated with it at times, especially when attempting to create clothing, but I think this is more my lack of skills than the app. I like Wings, but as has been stated, scaling can be an issue. I think Wings may be one of the easiest to work with, though, but when doing architectural work, a lot of attention should be given to scale, especially if you create props that require a figure in the scene. To each his own...

C~