Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is hobby 3D a dyng art?

vilters opened this issue on Mar 06, 2014 · 177 posts

aeilkema posted Sat, 08 March 2014 at 7:23 AM

Quote - I haven't been around much the last few months cause I've felt like crap. And when I'm not feeling like crap I'm working on commissions and other projects to pay the bills. But I usually still lurk if only to keep up to date on what's going on, which has been nothing lately.

I don't think the diminishing forum activity has as much to do with debates or arguments as it does with competition. There have always been heated debates that spring up, on topics new and old, and it rarely had any affect on how much activity continued in the forums. But that was back when there was little to no competition with Poser, and that's not the case anymore. 

Poser's popularity has always been content-driven. So it only makes sense that without new, cutting-edge, quality content to compete with everything else that's available, its bound to diminish in popularity as people migrate over to where the new shinies are.

Where is the content that utilizes all of Posers newest features?  The way I see it, without some serious effort on SMs part to put resources into some major content development that rivals its competition, the silence around the various Poser forums is just going to continue to grow. The best they currently have to offer is Rex and Roxie. They've been out for nearly a year now, but SM's own site doesn't even offer much of anything in the way of content for them. 3 or 4 items? Business suits seems to be the only official content they've done. In a year. Nothing official for developers to use to make character sets, nothing. 

So yeah, pretty much I think that's why the two biggest Poser forums are mostly crickets chirping lately. And this isn't intended to start another debate, it's just an honest observation. Poser needs new content. Without it, its users go elsewhere.

~Shane

Could be, but I really think that two biggest Poser forums are mostly crickets chirping lately is due to control. I haven't visited DAZ for a long time now. They're just not too Poser friendly anymore and after banning other Vendors from their forums I had no reason to go there anymore. Here the Poser forum lately is controlled a bit too much for my taste as well. I see people who were active here gone to other places. RDNA has always been a dead place.

But I must say the new mods (while controlling perhaps a bit too much) are better then the old ones. They were very partial, often banning people who were the actual victims of others, while letting the causing party continue on and on. Also certain characters constantly calling troll troll troll was very annoying. At least that is much better now, but the life has gone as well and that's a shame.

Quote - Where is the content that utilizes all of Posers newest features?

Personally I don't see the need for doing so. I'm in a niche market and for that market stuff even needs to be working on old versions like Poser 6. Also V3 & V4 and their male counterparts are still very popular, so no changes there either. The newest figures like Dawn simply pass by the newest technology and the SM figures are ugly as ever, except for Miki perhaps.

As long as SM delivers crappy figures that will never change. SM should seriously sit down and have talk with Hivewire3D about figures for the next Poser version. But we know that's never going to happen and we all know that this whole so called Poser community coming together around Dawn died as soon as Hivewire3D opened their store and became competition for the others. I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to work together with Rendo and RDNA either. The only ones that can really make a difference here are SM and they haven't done it and I doubt they ever will.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk