Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is hobby 3D a dyng art?

vilters opened this issue on Mar 06, 2014 · 177 posts

moogal posted Sun, 09 March 2014 at 1:55 AM

Quote - As for myself, it's that conversations have become so specialized, centering on and around figures that I don't use (Genesis, V4, and the very latests Posers), that there is little reason to join in!

Does anybody still use Posette, or Judy?  If not, then there is nothing for me to talk about!

I find the most interesting discussions to be about Poser itself, how the features work, using shaders to replicate various materials or to optimize rendering.  I don't follow figure-specific threads unless I am having a figure-specific problem.

I'm surprised that people abandon the older figures...  Sure, when a new figure comes along and I make a neat character with it I might neglect the older figures for a time...  But for populated scenes, and for variety, I never view any figure as obsolete.

I still strongly feel that the older content should be taken out of future Poser installations AND replaced with updated versions of said content.  It's not that Posette can't be made to look good alongside Vicki or Roxy, just that she doesn't ship in that form.  I'd love it if future versions of Poser shipped with updated versions of figures from versions 4-10.  Not talking any serious overhauls, just the same weightmapping, re-rigging, EZskin shaders etc. that any one of us with moderate experience could apply in an afternoon of work once we'd tracked down and downloaded all of the requisite files.  I'm sure many a user has loaded Posette and said "ewww, why would anyone ever use this figure today?" when in reality that figure still has plenty of uses.

Figures are like Hollywood stars...  Every year or so a fresh face comes along and every director wants him or her in their movies...  But when the newness wears off many of those stars simply fade away.  Those who don't fade away are the ones who are truly versatile and bring something unique to each performance.  Some are meant to lead, some are meant to support and others will forever get those character roles that have you thinking "I've seen this person before, but where?"