Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Profile modeling organic form, for hard-surface detail

LuxXeon opened this issue on Mar 14, 2014 · 52 posts

LuxXeon posted Sat, 15 March 2014 at 2:36 PM

I'm working on the junction point now, where the handle will meet the cane shaft.  Since there's a shape transition that occurs there, I have two choices on how to handle this part.  As Airflamesred had pointed out on the previous page, these canes usually have a brass or metal "fitting" that joins the handle to the shaft, and the shaft of the cane is shaped at the tip, to conform to the fitting.  I could approach this fitting as a separate bit of geometry, like a tube primitive, and just model the shaft as still another object, like a cylinder.  In this model, however, I want to model all the parts as one object, then break it up for easier texturing later. So at this point, it's a good idea to weld the symmetry line, and work as a single object.

What I've done here is simply extend the border edge loop of the handle out along the XY coordinates, then use a "circularize" command to make them into a circle.  This will begin the brass fitting that connects the handle to the shaft of the cane.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon