Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: DAZ categories after Windows re-install

kenmo opened this issue on Mar 24, 2014 ยท 23 posts

manleystanley posted Thu, 27 March 2014 at 10:23 AM

1. DAZ is the company, Studio is the app. DAZ also developes Carrara, and to a much lesser degree Bryce and Hexagon. And that isn't counting plugins.

Daz is also, and it's top busness concern, a content brokerage. I'll stop myself here before I get in to the conspericy threoies; which aren't really that theoretical. It is in your best interest to make content use and instalation as simple as possable, but it is best for busness if DAZ has as much control of your {their} content as possable. {you don't buy content so much as lease it for personal use}.

That said, it is my personal opinion; and please don't take ofence, that you are creating much of your own problem. Please bear with me. My oldest used figure is the Maya doll. Laugh it up but the figure was way ahead of its time. When Carrara got the feature that allowed it to use Poser figures I set her in a run time and scouered the internet to find free stuff for here. In nine years I have had to reorganize it twice; just to sort out bad freebies. Also in that amount of time that runtime has migrated across 3 computers, 3 OSs, 5 HDDs, 4 builds of carrara, and 3 full builds of Studio. More over my massive "figures" folder has migrated across two comps, 3 HDDs, and two OSs. In nine years it has grown from the Maya Doll to 30+ runtimes; that's counting inactive runtimes like starfox. I reorgenazed them all once a while back; to sort out bad content, had to brake down my props folder when it got far too big; archatecture, assesories flora, and vehicals. And resort my V4 poses folder when it got too confusing; mats, morphs, poses. But I don't think I ever had the sort of issues you are having now.

None the less I am in agreement that the entire runtime/content folder system is far more complex then it needs to be. I actually started using premades long before I used Poser/DAZ content.

If Poser/Daz content were organized in the way most other apps use models there would be no runtime. V4's folder would contain models and a textures, possably in subfolders. V4's clothing folder would contain a folder for each artical of clothing, say V4SKwair6. That folder would have the preload, mesh, and textures. And wouldn't that make all this a lot easyer