Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Why aren't male figures more popular?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Apr 16, 2014 · 474 posts

Male_M3dia posted Thu, 17 April 2014 at 12:11 AM

Quote - > Quote - I didn't want to derail an earlier thread, so I'll ask the question here. Why aren't male figures used more often, or rendered more? One would think that Poser and DS would lend themselves quite well to making action renders of male characters. But for some reason, and maybe they think they're being different,  but what you end up with are a plethora of renders of sexy looking female astronauts, or pirates, knights, police, soldiers. Often as not, you end up not having those costumes for male figures or M4 has to convert and wear his sister's hand me downs.

I do hear people asking for stuff for males , but I'm starting to learn that even if you make what they ask for, they won't buy.

"Why won't vendors make content for males" was answered years ago.  If you dig back into the forums, you can find some epic flamethrowing threads (Some of which I was a participant in.  I was constantly whining for male content for the 1st five years that I was a member of the Poser community.)  It boils down to the following (Stop me if some of this sounds familiar...)

1.   *"I am an artist, I make what I want - and I don't want to make male clothing."  * If a vendor decides from the outset that they aren't making male clothing, not a lot we can do about that.

*2.  "I made a product for a male character and it didn't sell - so I am never making male clothing ever again." * There was probably a reason - it was either too niche or it simply wasn't very good.

Let me give an example - A vendor made a 19th Century US Calvary outfit.  It was a good outfit.  However, it only came with 1 texture (Union Blue).  Had it also come with a grey texture, then it could have also been used for civil war renders - include a set of red textures, M3 could be heroic in the Kyber pass or in Algeria with the French Foreign Legion. They didn't make additonal texture sets, therefore, it was limited to the time of the Indian Wars.

During this time period, many vendors took a "Take it or leave it" approach, which didn't exactly endear them to their potential customer base.

3.  Making "sexy-time" female clothing is easier than making male clothing.

3.  A lot of the male clothing that was made was not comparable to the female clothing being made (by the same artists most of the time); the attention do detail simply wan't there.  As an example, I have a western outfit by a fairly popular vendor - the shirt comes with 1 texture - plaid.  On the front of the shirt, the stripes are horizontal and vertical.  On the back, the plaid pattern is at a 45 degree angle.  I had to either aquire texturing skills that the vendor was too lazy to do, or only render it from the front.

4.  Male products were more expensive than comparable female clothing.

5.  Additional textures for male clothing came in 2 flavors: colors and fabrics that no man would be caught dead in or none at all.

Male characters are in the exact same boat as any figure not named V4.  The vendors aren't going to make content for them. 

That was why I got Wardrobe Wizard when it was first released.  And Poser 2014 makes it even easier to make clothing figure neutral.  Rendering with Male figures requires Poser & DS users to up their skill sets - and most aren't going to do that - it is a hobby after all, and most end users are no different than the "paint-by-the-numbers" folks.

OTOH, between Apollo Maximus, the 2nd, 3rd & 4th Generation DAZ males and the SM males, I do actually have a fairly extensive wardrobe for my male characters.

No matter how you try to argue it, the bottom line really come down to the customer. No vendor can survive off of making clothing from every plea and it only sells 4 copies. That's wasting their time. Vendors only make what people will pay for, if they're not paying for the stuff you want, then you'll have to learn to make it yourself. You can't blame vendors for not wanting to pay bills with someone else's philosophy; creditors usually only accept money. ;)