Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Diamond Heart Ring Project

LuxXeon opened this issue on May 21, 2014 · 12 posts

LuxXeon posted Sun, 25 May 2014 at 11:37 AM

Quote - I think you went a little overboard hardening the edges with extra edge loops in this model, but I can't argue that the render you created is just great, and that the model is very well done for the most part.  Personally, I think you could have just added one extra loop to the edges that you wanted to keep hard, and it would have been good enough.  Seems like you actually added several additional edges that probably weren't needed, even under the most extreme circumstances.  I don't know of any 3D software that would try that hard to smooth out those edges.  Even if the default smoothing was set to 180 degrees, two edge loops should be enough to deter it.

I went through several tests before actually deciding on this particular geometry.  The reason I used the number of edge loops on the hard edges, is because I wanted to "round" out the beveled appearance, and give it a subdivided look, without actually using subD.  This provides a nice highlight on those edges, which wouldn't be there if they were just hardened without extra geo.  It gave me exactly what I wanted... more resolution on the "hard/cut" edges, without increasing the overall density of the mesh.

The geometry behaves as expected when imported in 90% of the applications I've tried.  Daz Studio, an application similar to Poser, seems to do something weird with the smoothing of the chamfered edges, but Blender, Max, and Poser all display it as intended, and even in the viewports, you can see a nice subtle highlight on those hard edges.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon