Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: I SCREWED UP!

Philywebrider opened this issue on Jun 04, 2014 · 37 posts

nedkelly posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 5:55 PM

"Quote.

I have to ask one more question. How do I render at 300 DPI?  I do commerical work and 300 DPI is a requirement. I understand the turtle and the rabbit and I understand saving as a JPEG or PNG, but I can't seem to find the means to change the render to 300 DPI. Can anyone help?"

Please don't take what I'm about to say as being unkind, rather it is meant to be honest feedback.

I find it really hard to believe that anyone who does any kind of commercial graphics work would have to ask such a basic question. It would be akin to a mechanic asking "how do I change the spark plugs in a car?" Print and image resolutions are one of the most basic fundamentals of any design course, anywhere in the world, and is one of the first topics to be learnt.

I can only assume that you are unqualified and I implore you to go and enrol for even a very basic graphics course before you find yourself in over your head.

OK, now that I got that off my chest, so to help you out for now, you shouldn't ever find a DPI setting anywhere other than in printer software. DPI stands for Dots Per Inch and refers to how many dots of ink a printer needs to emit to cover one linear inch.

PPI stands for Pixels Per Inch and refers to how many pixels appear in one inch of a digital image.

You can calculate the required image size once you know what size the paper item will be printed at. (Assuming one dot per pixel)

For example, an A3 sheet is approximately 16 x 11 inches, at 300 ppi that is 4800 x 3300 pixels. Set your pixel size in the render settings and you should be good to go.