Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is a Poser > Vue Workflow Wortth $600?

Nyghtfall opened this issue on May 14, 2014 · 161 posts

DustRider posted Fri, 27 June 2014 at 1:08 AM

Quote - (NyghtFall) 

Quote -   If at some point Reality/Lux begin offering GPU rendering as well, I want to be ready for it.

Reality/Lux already offers GPU rendering, hybrid (GPU+CPU), and CPU-only rendering modes.  However, Lux will use a GPU's OpenCL (not OpenGL), and in short, that means you'd want an AMD/ATI/Radeon video card or set thereof.  Octane uses OpenGL, and runs best on nVidia cards, but Lux uses OpenCL and prefers AMD cards. Corrections welcome, if I've made any errors here.

Not to nitpick - and I'm sure you know the difference, but just to avoid any future confusion for those that don't ....... Octane uses Cuda, which is Nvidia's proprietary GPU processing technology, and only runs on Nvidia based cards. Nvidia cards support OpenCL GPU processing as well, they just aren't as efficient at processing OpenCL instructions as ATI cards. Cycles, LuxRender SLG (GPU only) and CPU+GPU all use OpenCL, and run on Nvidia cards.

OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) is "a cross-language, multi-platform application programming interface (API) for rendering 2D and 3D vector graphics. The API is typically used to interact with a graphics processing unit (GPU), to achieve hardware-accelerated rendering". Most 3d software, including Poser, use OpenGL for the rapid 3D rendering in the interactive viewport.

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......