Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How can a 3D texture be rotated in the Materials Room?

Cage opened this issue on Jul 04, 2014 ยท 16 posts

bagginsbill posted Fri, 04 July 2014 at 9:57 PM

Most, but not all, of the 3D nodes that have an x, y, and a z node can be manipulated to do what you want, I think.

Some of the 3D nodes just have a master scale, and there is nothing to be done with those.

Among those with xyz scales, they behave in a peculiar way. Each is a value and (optionally) a plugged-in node.

If there is no plugged in node, then the implied plugged in node is the corresponding xyz model coordinates in PNU. The coordinate is divided by the scale. (I have trouble thinking of scale as being anything but ambiguous. I prefer to think of these as the "period" of the features I see in the pattern.)

But if you plug in a node, then it will use the value you plugged in DIVIDED by the number typed into the parameter. (This is the opposite of all other node parameters, which use the plugged-in node value MULTIPLIED with the parameter value.)

So - if you like, you can plug in anything you want into these values.

A constant (such as Math:Add(0, 0)) will freeze that value.

You can plug in U or V coordinates, or can plug in weighted sums of the P node, which gives world coordinates.

We do not have a node that gives model coordinates - the values used internally if you plug nothing into the node.

So - if you're OK with using world coordinates or UV coordinates, you can indeed rotate the patterns.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)