Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Silo3D now updated to ver 2.3

kenmo opened this issue on Jul 07, 2014 · 17 posts

EricofSD posted Wed, 30 July 2014 at 11:03 PM

I went from 2.2 to 2.3.  Don't notice any difference.  Digital Tutors has a few training series that combine Maya and Silo. 

One of the things I learned at DT is that Silo cannot handle heavy work.  Isolate your mesh, sculpt on small parts, keep it light.  It is not zb or mudbox.  etc.

Yeah, well, I have a dual E5-2630 machine, win 7 ultimate, 64g ram, ssd drives, gtx780.  I have all the resources that any app can need.  And yes, I got silo to whitescreen pretty fast while sculpting. 

So folks seem to know at DT and here at home that Silo has resource usage issues.  I noticed high page faults just prior to the crashes. 

They gotta fix that.  I can load up poser to where it has slammed all 24 cores to the max and still go play with other software while it is rendering. 

And yes, XSI is pretty awesome, way ahead of its time.  Shame on AD for killing it.  I know they want to take the code to make Maya better.  AD has had 6 years of owning XSI to learn it.  I'll be all ears if they have it understood now and can really use it to enhance Maya.