Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Why aren't male figures more popular?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Apr 16, 2014 · 474 posts

shante posted Fri, 08 August 2014 at 9:55 AM

Quote -
It's true we notice even the slightest thing that's off when we look at another human, that's one of the reasons that virtual humans are so hard to do convincingly.

That is definitely the case but there was a serious issue with the shoulder/collar/arm pit/pectoral areas of the Mil3 figures when thy came out and a lot of people complained about it. THough pretty bad in default mode it became terribly obvious when the arms went up. THe issue was a bit less with Mil4 figures which is why the PERFECT BODY morphs and poses are so popular. THey are  a god send in my opinion, for those of us that do erotic fantasy art. But the Mil3 needed serious reconstructive surgery and not worth the effort because of all the post work needed to make them lookrelatively normal in a finished render/painting.

I know it is subjective and that we compare 3d figures to reality (or even paintings and drawings) and even that sensibility changes as a cultural fluctuation judging from all the drawing and painting styles through the ages, there is still a sense of rightness and wrongness the trained eye wants to embrace. The more off the trodden path a human image gets the less it touches our visual psyche. Having been a photographer working with human models, dancers, nudes etc, I guess I have gotten retentive in my comparing 3d human mesh to the real thing. Maybe not fair but Poser has filled the gap for me after leaving photography. I still strive to make my figures look as realistic as possible within my very limited abilities in using Poser.

As it applies to human figures,  there is a certain Balance and weight distribution and even a sense of proportion and understanding of some of the basic notions of anatomy missing even in fantasy Poser figures. The excuse has always been that well its a fantasy figure so who's to say it is wrong or right so why go the extra mile to make it perfect?

Well, we have a history of mythology and imagery depicting those fantasy figures and have grown accustomed to seeing those proportions and structures in our cultural imagery. Deviating from that in creating a centaur or satyr or dragon or alien, etc. for instane, gives a sense of wrongness, for me anyway, when you put those less thought out and created figures along side of a nicely morphed and dressed Mil4 figure for instance. Look at Dinorauls dinosaurs and fantasy creatures for instance. They are the best out there in my opinion. They look real and even next to a Mil4 figure maintain their realism compared to so many other figures that, badly proportioned and weighted or textured, have too much of a toon look to them.

As much as I envy a content creators to be able to learn 3D apps enough to create content and am so damn thankful for whatever is offered us and wish I could wrap my head around such work, I loathe purchasing a figure unless really well illustrated for fear it will not look good in my renders. So when it comes to human and animal meshes of the "real world" as we know it I am even fussier.