Forum: Bryce

Subject: Metaballs still fun after all these years

AgentSmith opened this issue on Aug 11, 2014 ยท 37 posts

AgentSmith posted Tue, 12 August 2014 at 2:15 AM

It's a simple setup with a lot of tweaking until I got it to look just the way I wanted (colors, reflections and levels of light, etc.). This is pretty much the norm for me with any of my Brycing, in fact I think I like the tweaking part the most of all.

The basics; One main Metaball colored red, one main negative Metaball in blue to cut out the middle, the six (skinny) Metaballs that cut out the top, bottom and sides are white, and the six (really skinny) Metaballs that create the grooved cutouts are black (to make them look darker/deeper and to try to give some separation of the blue and white areas.

That's the cool thing about Metaballs of different colors/materials, when they intersect in any way, their colors/mats will fade into one another.

And yup, Metaballs render kinda slowly and booleaned Metaballs render even more slowly and then you activate an HDRI for reflections/lighting and it can take a while, that's why I kept the render dimensions small. I think this took something like 20-25 minutes for me to render. I don't have what is considered a fast pc anymore but it is a quad core so that helps. (running on Win7, 64-bit)

Beyond that, the best explanation would be the scenefile itself, gimmie a minute and I'll upload it to my site and provide a link to download.

AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"