Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is DAZ pressuring content makers away from V4?

petepix opened this issue on Aug 30, 2014 · 75 posts

ssgbryan posted Thu, 04 September 2014 at 1:49 PM

Quote - Anyway, if y'all want to discuss positive aspects of what might make Poser or its content more appealing that's fine but this thread isn't going to become another Poser vs DAZ argument or I'll just lock it. The OP's question has pretty much been satisfied so most anything else regarding DAZ is just tempting fate. Just throwing that out there as fair warning.

SM is making Poser more appealing with every release.  At least to people that want to move beyond Load, Conform, Make Art.  That may not mean much to folks here, but it matters to those of us that are moving beyond NVIATWAS.

I think part of the problem is that people here conflate the 'Rosity community with the Poser community.  If you are moving or want to move past Poser 7, this isn't the place to be.

Another part of the problem is that SM have provided Poser users the tools to make the vendors less relevant.  A lot of people complained about lack of clothing for any figure not named Victoria 4 - SM heard us & provided us tools to address that need.

As a Poser 2014 user, I have access to all figures.  My figures have access to all of the clothing I have purchased.  Well, except for shoes. 

FBX import means I have access to all kinds of well made, quality props (esp furniture) - There is a serious lack of them in the Poserverse.

Combine figures means I can build fully clothed figures for a crowded scene quickly.  Granted, that isn't much use for the Gil Elvgren/Frazetta wanna-bes, but I moved on.

Simply run down the figure tab and look at all of the useful things that have been added over the past couple of versions.

Copy Morphs from means I don't care if clothing has the character morphs I need anymore (and they never do) - I simply delete all of those out & add the FBM I made from a vendor's dial-spin (or a vendor's Z-Brush custom morph) and add it to the clothing. 

No muss, no fuss - Clothing made for a mesh always fits - did I mention it is a WHOLE lot lighter on system resouces?  That matters when I have every seat filled (13 fully clothed characters) on one of my Star Trek Bridges.

The fitting room means I can slide V4 content onto Dawn in less than 30 seconds.  90 seconds or so for other figures.  I have V4 clothing that has never gone on a V4 figure.  I have clothing for V4 that has gone on almost every figure I own (Couragous & Valient Outfits for V4 and M4) - Everybody from Posette to Eroko to Roxie to Apollo Maximus to Tyler & everyone in between.

The morph brush gets major improvements with every release.

The add-on framework means that I get access to all of the brilliance Pret-a-3D (Reality 3), Semidieu (Advanced Figure Randomizer and INJ Builder - easily build & export your INJs), Snarly-Gribbly (EZ-Skin2, EZ-Mat), and Netherworks Studio (Hair Control System, Creators Toybox, Batch Material Convert - to deal with those @@@@@ vendors that build products for Poser 9+ figures using Poser 4 workflows) and even DSON to bring the golum into Poser.  Again, not much use for Poser 7 workflow crowd, but for those of us that want value for our dollar, to paraphrase the Vice-President:  "It's a big fcking deal."*

SM & DAZ have fundamentally different business models.  SM is not, nor have they ever been, dependant on content sales. 

As far as buying content for non-DAZ figures - I can't buy what isn't made.  I haven't bought everything I want for Dawn (or Antonia, or Michelle,) here at 'Rosity (& other storefronts), but I am steadily working through my wishlist.

OTOH, due to the advances in the past couple of versions of Poser, older content has become viable again, also made it's way to my buy list.

As an example, since Billy-T weight mapped TY2, I am using her again - and buying content I didn't already have for her.  TY2 looks fundamentally different than V4 - and I am after variety - not 20 ever so slightly different version of the same V4 figure that the vendors have been cranking out for the past half decade.

The same can be said for other content.  Granted, that doesn't help vendors who are making YAV4HO (Yet Another V4 Hookerware Outfit), but they are the ones who decided to take a "slash & burn farming" mentality for making and selling 3D content.

The best thing about Poser is I have access to a much wider variety of figures and vendors.