Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Post here if you primarily use Dawn in Poser.

EClark1894 opened this issue on Sep 16, 2014 · 134 posts

ssgbryan posted Wed, 17 September 2014 at 2:55 AM

No, there aren't "many" ethnic characters, AmbientShade. - I own almost all of them :p

We only make Caucasian characters because Caucasian characters are popular and they are popular because we only make Caucasian characters.  This is called a positive feedback loop. 

OTOH, that doesn't seem to matter to vendors - look at all the vendors that do not make male clothing in 2014 because they had a poorly received article of male clothing in 2004.  Which ties into why I have no interest in listening to their whining about low sales. 

The whole "NDIATWAS" ties back to the OP's question - I use Dawn, but I would use her more and buy more content for her, if she had more than just a smattering of 20something Caucasians and club wear. 

Thankfully, clothing isn't an issue, courtesy of the fitting room (and Xdresser & WW to a lesser extent).  The same can be said of character textures courtesy of Texture Transformer.  I have money and by god I am willing to spend it - just not on clubware or 20something Caucasians for any figure, not just Dawn.

As an example, we still don't have a middle aged or old figure for Dawn of any ethnicity.  So when I need one of those (My stories have people of all ages in them mostly in the 30 - 55 age group - you know, adults) I am reaching for a different figure. 

Faces of Asia & Faces of Africa are great products (I own both) - but they aren't merchant resources - which kinda matters when most vendors are "dial spinners" and the company making the figure morphs don't consider ethnic morphs to be important.  Again, another example of the positive feedback loop that exists in the Poser/DS world.

<snipped an interesting paragraph about how marketing demographics is making advertising more "Caucasian" over the past 20 years.>

Are you really pushing the idea that the folks making NVIATWAS renders are the only demographic that matters?   If that is the direction that 'Rosity is going, my money and I will probably migrate to other storefronts.

The more skills I learn because of vendor intransigence, the less I need storefronts like Renderosity.   Which is why like other folks in this thread, my purchases at 'Rosity are moving more to things like sets & props and away from characters and clothing.