Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Post here if you primarily use Dawn in Poser.

EClark1894 opened this issue on Sep 16, 2014 · 134 posts

moriador posted Wed, 17 September 2014 at 6:43 PM

Quote - Sometimes bugs become assets. 

Some of Poser's most significant features started out as bugs or clever tricks of ingenuity by the more daring, inventive users. I think conformers came about that way. In the early days of Poser the figures came with their clothes built in. Or maybe it was ERCs. Or perhaps both, I can't quite recall. 

Back in the old days I used to play a gamed called Ultima Online - was the first true MMO that started that whole craze. It had a lot of bugs. One particular bug was a black dye tub. They weren't supposed to exist in the game. (dye tubs where you added colors to a bucket of water to dye your toon's clothing). Someone managed to create a solid black tub by adding coal to it. Wasn't supposed to happen but it did, and everyone wanted solid black clothing, but no one knew how to make the black dye tubs in the beginning, and those few who did made a LOT of money dying clothes for people, or selling the tub outright. You could also get your tub stolen (cause pickpocketing was a skill, and anything you were carying was a risk you took). Later they became a vet reward for being in the game for a certain period of time, and were given out as gifts at holidays and the bug that caused coal to turn a tub black was removed. Ah, fun times. Now games are just cookie-cutter crap with no real exploration left. 

I remember Ultima Online. :) I never played it, though. For online multiuser play, I always preferred MUDs. Not sure why. I guess your game engine has to be fairly compelling for a text based game to be interesting. The fact that MUDs were basically built by individuals with individual creativity and imagination (rather than industry catering to the mass market) may be why I enjoyed them. These days, I suppose that creative impulse from the gaming community (as opposed to the gaming industry) goes into modding.

Yes, to the bugs-to-assets point. :) Amazing what the human brain can come up with, when users are given the chance to develop assets.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.