Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What Would You Like To See More of in the Poser forum?

AmbientShade opened this issue on Sep 22, 2014 · 63 posts

hornet3d posted Wed, 24 September 2014 at 5:16 AM

Quote - It is interesting to compare this forum to another which I visit, rmweb. That forum is about model railways, but there are a lot of similarities. Both sites cater for hobbyists and the membership have diverse interests around the central theme. Some members are happy to buy and use 'off the shelf' items, others prefer to make things for themselves.  Sometimes there are arguments, and sometimes members pack up and leave over some percieved injustice, but generally rmweb members get along.

A big difference is that rmweb members pretty much all respect the tongue in cheek  "Rule 1", which is "It's my trainset, I'll run what I like", a similar phrase for here would be "It's my render, I'll use what I like". The hunt for the perfect figure is futile. It's good that there is a choice. Everyone should feel free to use whichever they choose, and there is no reason to attack vendors or users who choose differently.

One of my other hobbies is 16mm Live steam model railways and I have to say my experience is the same as yours.   There are some that make their own models, others that buy replica models and are extremely hot on the exact details (often referred to as rivit counters) and those like me that can't afford the exact replicas and buy generic models.  On the whole they all get along and while I do not have the skiils to build, or the money to buy replicas, I can admire such creations and the skills used.

I wonder what it is that makes discussions on 3D software so heated or makes personal views so intense.

What I would really like to see more of in the forum is help and a warm welcome for all 3D artists irrespective of the level of experience.  There was a thread here not so long ago where a new purchaser was so frustrated with Poser he was asking the legality of and where he could sell his version of Poser.  Lots of people jumped in, not to tell him where or how to sell but to ask questions to try to understand his frustration and then help.  In a short space of time the OP was producing renders and having fun.  That is what forums should be for, showing others what fun this hobby/profession and trying to help them join in the fun.

I don't know how you can bring such a forum about but I would support any proposal I thought was a step in that direction. 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.