Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Best Computer?

rainfrey opened this issue on Oct 10, 2014 · 24 posts

shvrdavid posted Tue, 14 October 2014 at 4:55 PM

A Titan is a good waste of money with Poser,

Poser wont show much improvement at all versus a lesser card since it is a cpu bound application.

Fastest in a cpu os not always the best either. Core count comes into play, so does the TRL. TRL is how much the cpu slows down when certain numbers of cores are active.

In multi core apps (real world apps that actually do something), the Xeons are faster then I7's even at slightly slower clock speeds. If you use 2 Xeons, the difference is even more substantial.

If you want single core perfomance, go for an I7. If you want fast multi core, go Xeon.

A 2.6 ghtz Xeon Westmere system (24 thread) that can be built for less than the cost of a new unlocked 12 thread I7' CPU, will run circles around that I7 when rendering with Firefly.

Recommending a 1000 watt supply without knowing what they plan on adding to the system could cause issues as well. One of my workstations can top a 1500 watt draw thru the backup supply if fully loaded down. Power supplies need to be selected by actual max draw with everything active, not a guess.

Water cooling is a waste of time unless you plan on overclocking the crap out of it. A water cooling system can cause more trouble than good if water starts to condense and drip on things. You can make a very expensive paper weight, rather quickly that way.

You can build an I7 system that is water cooled, overclocked to death, etc. And a dual Xeon system will still be faster at certain things. Like rendering in Poser.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->