Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT - Being Forced to Upgrade to Win 8.1

Latexluv opened this issue on Oct 12, 2014 · 96 posts

pumeco posted Sun, 19 October 2014 at 7:44 AM

To be honest, Mike, to me the lack of "Adobe" on GNU/Linux is actually a bonus.

Depends on how you look at it I suppose.  For me the balance has already been made, there is already enough high-end software products native to GNU/Linux that I don't actually need any Windows programs at all.

Some immediate example are these:

2D Artists - Can replace Photoshop with the new GIMP
3D Artists - Can replace 3D programs with the mighty Blender
Designers - Can replace Illustrator with the new Inkscape
Musicians - Can replace Ableton Live etc with Bitwig or Renoise

The only thing I feel is lacking, is something to replace After Effects.  The good news is that Blender and GIMP can be scripted to do anything After Effects can do, as well as an infinite amount of stuff After Effects never will be able to do.  At the moment, the best way to get true high-end video effects on a GNU/Linux system is to automate frame-by-frame imports/exports inside of Blender or GIMP.

It's only a matter of time until the concept is transfromed into a mind-blowing video production studio, but until then, I'm prepared to live with automated import-export frame-by-rame - it's no biggie, and is technically beneficial.

On top of all that, of course, you're using an OS where everyone is able to examine the code for any malware, and that's a good thing because it's the only way you'll ever have control over what your computer is sending out.  My Debian installation sends out exactly what I let it, and absolutely nothing else.

It's my system, my installation: one where I am boss and am in complete control of it, not Apple or Microsoft.