Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT - Being Forced to Upgrade to Win 8.1

Latexluv opened this issue on Oct 12, 2014 · 96 posts

pumeco posted Tue, 28 October 2014 at 9:10 AM

@Vilters**
That's simply not true.

Also, people should not tolerale being manipulated by these monstrous companies, it's just way out of control.  People should not use any operating system for anything important that is not composed of free software (free as in the code being freely auditable by anyone).  You need to use an OS where the code can be read by anyone capable of reading code.  By others being able to read the code, there are effectively millions of coders around the world that are your guardian.

So ask yourself, do you trust code you can't read, code that is developed by commercial companies, or do you trust code that anyone can check-over and is developed for the good of the user?

No GNU/Linux distro that repects freedom and your privacy will ever knowingly incorporate malware, spyware, or anything that is bad for the user.  If it did, it would be found out almost immediately and it would be the beginning of the end for that distro.  To install malware in a GNU/Linux distribution would be as dumb as swapping a field of grass for a field of needles and hoping the cattle won't notice.  As you will have gathered from the video, Ubuntu did that, but ask yourself where Ubuntu now ranks on the "freedom and privacy scale" - I'm guessing it's rock bottom along with MacOS, iOS, and Windows etc.

@David**
No upgrade has ever been forced upon Debian users.  Server-side changes are not client-side changes (and the user is the client).  You're talking about a change that was done to protect users, not manipulate them, and even then, you still got to decide what you want to do regards the installation.  You were in control and could have made the decision to wait for an audited verdict by those you trust before allowing it onto your own system.

That's a world away from the monstrous 'shove it on their system whether they want it or not' mentality that the corporate monkeys at Microsoft practice.  Like I said, nothing has and nothing ever will be installed on my Debian system without my knowledge.

@Shane
It is a bit OT, but you're helping to protect and educate people by this stuff being here.  What better place for people to discover a friendly alternative than in a thread about how Microsoft are manipulating their customers (yet again).  The biggest problem is that people don't realise there are free altenatives to being manipulated by these companies.  Users need to remember that they owe Apple and Microsoft nothing, nothing at all.  They also need to realise that purchasing an OS should not have to mean giving up your privacy and freedom in order to use it.

Both Apple and Microsft need putting back in their place, making plastic boxes with circuit boards inside and nothing more.  I for one will not tolerate having my life manipulated and controlled by some company started by a bunch of Silicon Valley geeks.  They don't own me, they are not gods, they are not the law, but if people continue to support these tossers, then what they (not me) have right now is just the tip of the iceberg compared to what they have coming to them as "useds" in the future.

It's a shame people can't see the result of what will come of all this manipulation and data-mining.