Forum: Bryce

Subject: Bryce 8 Development Funded Via Kickstarter

JackStr8 opened this issue on Nov 13, 2014 · 25 posts

pumeco posted Fri, 28 November 2014 at 12:16 PM

Well, you certainly have a big thumbs-up from me for your intentions, as did the author of the other thread you point out, but why on earth would you want DAZ to go ahead with something like this?

Absolutely every long-time Brycer knows that Bryce flourished under Metacreations, but went rapidly downhill since the "Content Biased" company DAZ got their hands on it.  As far as I'm concerned, DAZ have done nothing to that program that would have passed under Metacreatuions rule, it's like they've systematically destroyed the thing both in stability, interface quality, and features.  There were people who worked on Bryce really hard and it always felt like a pleasure to be able speak directly with them, but the problem is DAZ, the company, not the workers, the "DAZ Content thing" is the worst thing that ever happened to Bryce IMHO, so while DAZ have even the slightest bit of influence over it's development - forget it.  You ain't ever getting Bryce back to the level it ought to be while DAZ are in charge of it, that should be obvious.

They've had it for ... how many years now?

The only thing DAZ have done for Bryce is drag out it's lifespan, and for that I suppose I'm grateful, but even so, there's always that feeling that if DAZ hadn't got their hands on it, a better placed company (one that is not interested in "content") might have snapped it up and the program would still rule because of it.  Bryce hasn't evolved into what it should be, not even close, instead it's evolved into a bug-ridden content carrier for DAZ.  It pisses me off everytime I see how Vue has evolved, because back in the day, Vue had the pretty much the same gimmicky, fiddly, crappy interface that it still has today, it wasn't in the same league as Bryce when it came to interface design or usability. Today Vue's interface is still a messy joke, but look how much people are prepared to pay for it.

No, what you should be doing is taking what you like about Bryce and ditching the crap DAZ added to it.  Design something / draw something up and get a Kickstarter to develop your own program, something that is like Bryce but will wipe the floor with it.  Get a designer who thinks "out of the box" and get a coder that understands the designer - or forget it - because that's why Bryce was what it was - the designer understood the coder and the coder understood the designer.

DAZ don't own the right to packages like Bryce, they only own Bryce, not a worldwide patent of landscape packages - so you don't need DAZ for anything.  There is no reason to involve DAZ at all, and that's just as well because DAZ are interested in "content" - and we've all seen what the fetish for "content" has done for Bryce (and Carrara), haven't we?

So yup, a thumbs up to you for the thought, but without wanting to sound rude, grow up and realise that Kickstarting anything for Bryce that involves DAZ, will likely do nothing other than allow them to update it for "Genesis" and not much more.  The code is old now so you'd be better off Kickstarting your own program anyway.  I love Bryce but there's no way I'd support a Kickstarter involving DAZ.  Bryce was a success because it thought outside the box, the interface, the workflow, and as long as you realise that usability is key in a program doing well, you should do equally well if your own program is equally unique and purposeful.

The creators of Bryce knew what they were doing, that's why Bryce was born.
So do the same - know what you are doing!