Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I am a good boy, so I will start "Hello Dolly".

vilters opened this issue on Dec 08, 2014 · 90 posts

vilters posted Fri, 12 December 2014 at 9:45 AM

To all:
Roll back in time. 10 years ago, V/M4 was the only possibility. Content creators where few, and they "rightfully so" made very good money.

Compare to now: SM, DAZ, Hiverwire, that are 3 companies, with 3 different main stream figures.

There are a LOT more vendors, and a LOT more vendor wannabe's. Ha, only this week I posted somewhere ; Att : there are more vendors then customers... LOL.

Over time, the quality of the products has increased drastically.
Honestly, I see the most wonderfull stuff being made all over the place, but due to the competition, prices dropped to an all time low.

It is perfectly clear that some vendors are having, or will get a hard time in the close future. Not only because of market saturation, a point we are approaching fast, but also the quality required and the low prices to "beat" the competition.

**Secondly the tools.
**Poser and DS both have gotten creation or content conversion tools that where non-existent 10 years ago.
The free modeling apps like Blender and Wings become more and more capable and more and more end users are building stuff "in house". It became part of the hobby to build yourself.

Third the freestuff. And here we also see a huge increase in quality all over
( PS : I put myself here in the free stuff area).

I only build something if I have to test or troubleshoot some issue. And when the test is completed and a fix in the make? I put the test outfit in freestuff.

The outfits released are as I call them "testing left-overs". Every outfit, from the first to the last had its purpose, and 2 more are on the way to being released..

Are they production/vendor quality? Certainly not, they are pretty good, they where never meant to be "vendor quality".

I only release with procedurals, but go through the trouble of UV-mapping most of them so end users "can" texture them if they want to.

Are they popular? Oh yeah, you bet. Initially I counted on a download of 5 to 10 at the most.

Only releasing "test free stuff left-overs"?
And then for Rex and Roxie?
I could never dream of the number of downloads they got. I was shocked by their popularity.

Sometimes it is funny actually.
Roxie-The Roman, is : ha-ha-ha- historically there never where fighting Roman women at the time, the most unrealistic possible outfit.

But you can all thank Roxie - The Roman.  That outfit is build in a very-very special way.

And That outfit got all the bugs out of the FBX export in PP2014 Game Dev.

Is it perfect? No, and I would certainly build it differently now.
But at the time?
Instead of making money?
It did the Job.
And in the end everybody gets a better and more capable Poser app..

Happy rendering all.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!