Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: making money making content?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Jan 30, 2015 · 133 posts

moriador posted Tue, 03 February 2015 at 4:19 AM

I'm the one disagreeing with specific statements (without elaboration) that props make it easier to make it in the business.

What helps one 'make it' is understanding the market segment where they want to sell. It's not always props.  What bothers me is that I hear more and more about props being an easier sell, and I know that is not the case. There is a number of different paths that can work well. Some people may have preference for making props, some people have preference for other things. 
I just don't like throwing newbies (to the business side of it) to the wolves.

Just for the record, when I suggested props and scenery, I wasn't and didn't indicate that they were an easier sell. Just that, for the most part, they are not tied to any one particular figure. Genesis, V4, Roxie, Dawn or Michelle can all drive a car or shop in a mall or live in the DAZ Dream House. And also, for the most part, they work in either program.

And this is exactly what I was agreeing with. People who would never dream of touching a Daz figure might still love Faveral's buildings, even though many of them were made almost a decade ago. How many ten year old outfits for V3 are still selling, I wonder? If Poser died a nasty death or if Daz vaulted every figure that isn't based on Genesis, then 80% of Rendo's clothing and accessory catalog would become near worthless for any new customer. But props would still be good. Many very old props need only a higher resolution texture upgrade and/or new shaders, and they'd are as good as brand new models. As long as we're still using polys for meshes, if the modelling is solid, the prop will be useful.

I'm looking at it long term. If all you make is female clothes, your catalog depreciates in value quickly. And when a new figure becomes popular, the value can potentially plummet to zero. I wouldn't want to work for a month on a product I couldn't sell five years later. But that's just me. 

I'm sure they don't give vendors that initial fast sale boost that you can get from female figure du jour slutwear. But, as a customer, I don't want to encourage people interested in becoming a vendor to add to the growing list of skimpy clothing manufacturers (many of whom seem to primarily make money by converting their old products into fits for new figures, with very few changes.) If that's how they want to make money, it's certainly their prerogative -- though there are probably a million better ways to do it -- but they don't need our opinions. They already know what they want to do.

And if anyone is serious about becoming a vendor as a living, they had better do a LOT more research than reading a single bloody forum thread. LOL.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.