Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: making money making content?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Jan 30, 2015 · 133 posts

BadKittehCo posted Tue, 03 February 2015 at 4:00 PM

Me too, Hornet. I don't want to come off as though I'm badmouthing vendors, because -- as we know -- we're not paying Turbosquid prices, even though, we probably should be. Marketing is a PITA, and few people really enjoy it. But -- and I could be wrong -- but I think it's worth doing a few things in addition to what I listed above. I just did some Google searches for Poser content. Generic things like "Poser mini skirt" or "Poser corvette V4 poses". Nobody's search results will be identical, but I found some eye opening things.

Top sites for Google search for Poser content are (not necessarily in this order) ShareCG, YouTube, Daz3D, and then -- growl -- about a thousand file sharing sites. Gack. The pirates should not be winning this. 

One vendor's own site showed up, however, near the top. So it's possible to fight back. He's going to capture sales from anyone using Google to find content (Does anyone do that? Yes!). Depending on the keywords in his site and on his page, me may even get quite a few people who don't own Poser or Daz Studio -- yet. If the promos on his site are as mindbendingly attractive as some of the promos here, he's going to be adding to Poser sales/DS downloads, and possibly getting sales for himself. Every vendor should have a blog or frequently updated site with two way links to their content plus information on what Poser or Daz Studio is, a Facebook page that updates with every new product release, as well as upcoming releases, a Twitter account that does the same, a YouTube channel with a tutorial or two or even some trailers for product releases (I've never seen this for typical Poser content, but why not?), some freebies on ShareCG, and helpful posts in 3D forums that are indexed and permit a signature banner link.  That's kind of a minimum. The number of places and ways you can use to promote your work -- without spamming -- are almost infinite.

Descriptions in all of these places should be a detailed and imaginative as possible. Where possible, images should be named and tagged with something that can be recognized in search engines and apps (not "promo1.jpg" but "v4_mini_skirt_promo.jpg"). Where you can use alt tags on images (your own site particularly), they should be detailed: "Product Name V4 in a black snakeskin and white leather mini skirt showing voluptuous, utopian, and young morph and lace netting t-shirt with a rose embellishment, facial piercings, including one gold eyebrow piercing and a gold ring lip piercing. Character Name in promo is wearing Product Name hair.... etc etc etc" ) Links should crisscross and go back and forth between all these sources, and it'd be even better if every vendor who had his/her own site linked to each other. High quality linkage is still a powerful force for search engine ranking. Facebook is also huge for driving site hits. Arguably, it's even more important. But isn't going to do much unless it gets beyond a fairly high minimum amount of activity -- and that's where vendors could really help each other.

I know that lots of vendors have their names in many places, like YouTube and ShareCG, etc. But where it all comes together is when you have a clear marketing strategy, so that you have a coherent set of words and descriptions that keep popping up in relation to the vendor name and the links to where you can buy the products. So much space in so many of these venues for bios and descriptions that get used to apologize for the quality of an upload rather than promote the vendor -- IF the space gets used at all. :) 

I know a lot of people hate to promote themselves. I'm such a person. I'll apologize for something I've created and point out all its flaws before I'll say anything else. If a vendor has a similar problem they should probably get other vendors, and/or their testers and customers to write some promo text for them. Other people can be way more enthusiastic because they're not worried about being modest or humble about someone else's stuff. :)

Anyway, all this would do wonders for a regular site selling -- whatever. I have absolutely no personal evidence to suggest that it would help Poser content sales. Only the broker admins looking at search words and site referrals would know that. So..... take it all with however many grains of salt you like. 

ROFL, spending all the time it takes to accomplish all this means no vendor has even an iota of time to create new models, much less rig them. You do realize you're talking about a full time job just updating social websites, right?

It's not as much an aversion to self promotion, it's the hours on a clock.

Yep yep, I was about to say the same thing. Making content is a full time job and then some, one that does not give you time for extensive marketing efforts, and not enough money to hire someone. You have to rely on the brokerages, and maybe sub groups of vendors pooling resources. There are only so many hours in the day. And if you don't finish your product, there is nothing to promote.

___
Renderosity Store  Personal nick: Conniekat8
Hi, my name is "No, Bad Kitteh, NOO", what's yours?