Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: making money making content?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Jan 30, 2015 · 133 posts

BadKittehCo posted Tue, 03 February 2015 at 9:41 PM

Anyway, all this would do wonders for a regular site selling -- whatever. I have absolutely no personal evidence to suggest that it would help Poser content sales. Only the broker admins looking at search words and site referrals would know that. So..... take it all with however many grains of salt you like. 

ROFL, spending all the time it takes to accomplish all this means no vendor has even an iota of time to create new models, much less rig them. You do realize you're talking about a full time job just updating social websites, right?

It's not as much an aversion to self promotion, it's the hours on a clock.

Yep yep, I was about to say the same thing. Making content is a full time job and then some, one that does not give you time for extensive marketing efforts, and not enough money to hire someone. You have to rely on the brokerages, and maybe sub groups of vendors pooling resources. There are only so many hours in the day. And if you don't finish your product, there is nothing to promote.

And that kind of thinking is what separates the hobbyist from the professional. I don't mean any disrespect, but honestly, I have to agree with Moriador here. Many of the points she lists are quite possible, along with a few others I can think of that she failed to mention, and some of the more dedicated vendors do accomplish them and still manage to have a life outside of content creation. Granted, everybody's schedules and personal lives are different, but it comes down to time management and setting priorities. If it is intended to be a full time business then you have to treat it like a full time job - actually two full time jobs, or even three, if that's what it takes, especially in the beginning, just like any other business, if you expect it to produce a full time, livable income. Yes, it is hard work, and many long hours, and it will probably require going without sleep here and there - actually no, not probably, it DOES require going without sleep here and there. Sometimes more often than not. But again, it's all about how dedicated you are and how much time and effort you're willing and able to put into it. If it was easy then everybody would be doing it. Granted, I don't have the same vendor experience that you have. Most of my work comes from private commissions, but I still have maintenance on those commissions. I still have to keep up with all my clients. I don't have the help of a brokerage to handle all of the problems that customers might run into, I have to do all of that myself. Part of why I'm not (yet) a vendor is due to keeping up with my clients and meeting their needs, which often cuts into current projects I have with other clients and sets things back, so I have to set priorities and schedule when I'm going to be working on various items. And its in the down times that I get to work on the projects that are intended to be vendor items. I don't mind going without sleep if that's what it takes to get a job done. If I'm not working on something then I'm not making money. Yet I still don't feel like I'm producing at the rate that I should be producing, and that's my fault. Something I'm working on correcting. 

But this line of work often does require working round the clock, and it's not something that can be taken as a hobby if you intend on making it a real profession. And if you don't love it then you'll learn to hate it pretty quick. There are content artists that make $50 to $100K and more per year, doing exactly this kind of work - not necessarily for Poser or DS though. For most, definitely not. The ones making that kind of money may still be working in Poser and DS at times but have branched out into the bigger scene and are selling their content at Turbosquid, or Unity, or any number of the other content markets, or their own websites. They've built up a solid customer base and a reputation for themselves and their work. And when they're not making content they're working on freelance jobs, animations, etc., because they take their work seriously and put every minute of free time they have into it, because they don't just treat it as a hobby, it's their livelihood. 

And it always helps if you have no life. That just means you have more time to work. Afterall, in this business sleep is a luxury for the weak. ;)

While you say you don't mean disrespect, you are being quite disrespectful, especially considering you are quoting me in your post. You may need to leave it to me how much time and professionalism I have and how much time, or how I invest it or at least put a little effort into learning about it before being down your nose judgemental about it. 
Just because you don't see people doing what you think they should be doing it doesn't mean it is not happening, or that they are being lazy or not dedicated and whatever else you said or insinuated here.  You're not exactly privy to what I do or what kind of money I make, or at what effort.
I'm surprised this kind of invalidating and disrespectful posting is acceptable especially by a moderator of the forum. sigh

___
Renderosity Store  Personal nick: Conniekat8
Hi, my name is "No, Bad Kitteh, NOO", what's yours?