Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: making money making content?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Jan 30, 2015 · 133 posts

aeilkema posted Wed, 04 February 2015 at 7:37 AM

Let me add a few things....... First of all, forget about making a living from Poser content :) Yes you can, but only a few do and you need to put a lof of work into creating items. If you want to live from Poser/DS content you need to be able to create a lot of quality products om a short time. you need to build a catalog and add very frequently to it. You  may be lucky enough to make a living then. But prepare to give up a lot for it.

Second.... most vendors that make a living, don't only do Poser/DS stuff. They also focus on other markets or do custom work, or sell art work and so on. Even some of the big names we know don't make enough from their content. The Poser/DS market is relatively small and it is oversaturated with vendors, so it's a constant strive to get to the top and stay at the top. Also take in account the whole myth and hype surrounding being a vendor. It's not the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's not money easily made. I know vendors who pretend to make a living, while in fact they have a (part-time) job next to creating content or at least another source of income as well.

Thirdly, pick you store well. Rendo favourites top vendors a lot and tends to support new and small vendors really badly. To protect their top vendors, they determine prices for the content you sell, which gives a beginning vendor a huge disadvantage. The tend to allow top vendors to set their prices lower then others, again a huge disadvantage for top sellers. Same goes for promotion. RDNA is a lot better for beginning vendors, they are really helpful, but I did find them quite controlling in many things. DAZ is a whole different story of course. Selling at Hivewire3D is quite pleasant, but they are still small. My contacts with yurdigital have been pleasant as well. I've been at CP for many years now, the easiest store to work with, they demand little, but also help little. They sure give a great return, they only keep 30%. Find a store that suits you.

Also keep in mind the economy. The content market is infuenced by it very much. Vendors are struggling. Then there's the whole odd seasonal sales problem. Some months sell very well, while other are very quite. October - January (and if we're lucky up to March) sell well, then it's quite and often just before the summer it picks up again, only to see a drop in sales during the summer again. Then there's the weather. That may sound odd, but it is of influence. Nice weather for a long period of time..... less people buying content.

Then there is the matter of content itself. If you do clothes, you need to constantly follow the market. What figures are in? What figures are out? Which figures are constant?  Props and scenes are less influenced by figures. I've done clothes and props and scenes. My props and scenes sell better and I find clothes a bit tidious to create. I stopped doing it, it was no fun for me. But others love it. Create what you like to create. Then there's the matter of technology when it comes to figures. Poser 7/8 use a certain figure technology, while Poser 9 is different and Poser 10 is different again. Some figures like V4/M4 work in all, but other figures depend on newer versions. That counts for clothes as well. The process for universal figures is different then it is for version specific figures. DS is of course a whole different matter altogether. Props and scenes depend less upon version, most of it works just as well in older versions as it does in newer versions.

In wrapping up..... to give you the best advice I can :) Create something you like. Pick a marketplace you like. See if they want to sell it and help you out getting it ready for the poser market. Start selling it and see here it all ends up. You maybe surprised. My first item was an instant best seller. It has been created over 5 years ago and it's still selling a few copies every month. I haven't created new poser content for over a year now. Still the store with the catalog I've build up over the years is generating sales. Granted, not as much as in the time when I added new content regularly, but still it's selling nicely. In a bad/slow month I sell 30 items or so, most months around 50 items and in the holiday season I sell well over that. Without adding new content to my store. If I add something new, the sales figures double easily. So, create what you like, that's the best start!

Good luck :)

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk