Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Who made the characters and props that come with Poser 10?

Anthony Appleyard opened this issue on Feb 18, 2015 · 27 posts

mrsparky posted Thu, 19 February 2015 at 2:08 PM

In purely practical terms for artist I wouldn't worry about any differences twixt RTEncode and Objactionmover.
Both require an "original" version of whatever is being moved over.

As for that legalise the core phrases in 2.2 are Covered Code, Larger Work and Utilize.
In very basic terms what this means to you is...

Covered code..
If the thing had (or itself used) something like a Creative Commons licence.
Academic here as this model doesn't have such a licence.

Larger Work...
This is the bit which lets you make images, animations etc etc and call these creations yours. These creations are yours and yours alone, you hold the copyright etc. However you can't say the original thing is yours. As a secondary point note the words non-exclusive. That means anyone could use the thing, make a picture identical to yours and you couldn't do b*gger all about it.

Utilize...
This allows you to adapt it to suit your needs, but only your needs. It doesn't give you rights to give them them away. 

The redistribution section is less clear as it only mentions Covered Code not other licences. So then the general rule - when reading legalise - is to fall back to sections which do cover those points. Which in this instance basically says no you can't modify and give that modification away.

Oh, usual disclaimer here, while I read some business law at uni, as Ms Nancy likes to say ..I ain't a lawyer :) 

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.