Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: If Only Poser worked liked Photography...

Photopium opened this issue on Feb 22, 2015 · 33 posts

pumeco posted Mon, 23 February 2015 at 5:10 PM

I agree with a lot of the above, but in general, yes, you need a renderer like Luxrender or Octane that are physically based, that's effectively what you're looking for when you want photographic terminology and behaviour from the renderer.

I have both Octane, and the Reality plugin for Luxrender.  They both have their good and bad points, cause like aRtBee pointed out, Octane is fast but it's costly and depends on specific hardware and memory restrictions in a way that Luxrender and the plugin doesn't.  The only thing I'd like to add to the above is that of the two, Luxrender looks to have the superior output (to me anyway).  Someone mentioned in a thread a while back that Luxrender is considered the standard in physically based rendering, and to be honest, I have to agree with that from my own observations.  It's hard to put a finger on it, and unless you know what you're looking for it's hard to see, but I think Octane and the others out there appear to have a sort weird 'Occlusion' effect going on in a way that Luxrender does not.  I hate the look of Ambent Occlusion, so maybe that's why I pick up on it, but putting render-times aside, I'd definitely say Luxrender is the best of those renderers, looks the most realistic to me.