Forum: MarketPlace Customers

Subject: credit card comprimise issues

poisinivy opened this issue on Mar 05, 2015 · 5 posts

Alisa posted Thu, 05 March 2015 at 2:46 PM

I'm very sorry you had this happen - just dealt with the same thing - but no, you can NOT assume that your card was compromised at one of those sites.   The card I just had to have replaced because of someone trying to use it was one I haven't used for many months.  There are many ways these scumbags get credit card numbers, including (as I was told this when another one of my cards was compromised a year or so ago) using computers to generate numbers..so yours might just have "happened" to be a number they came up with.  Not sure how the credit card company would know that this person hacked any particular servers - all they know is the card was used.

While stores do the best they can to prevent these issues, it's not fair, in my opinion, to blame THEM for what thieves do (I know you're not trying to blame them but I've seen people blast stores and say they'll never buy from such and such because their credit card was compromised).    And while we all pay in the end with higher interest rates and fees, keep in mind that even if those charges had gone through, credit card companies do not make you pay for fraudulent charges.

All you can do is keep an eye on the charges on your card - check online and check your statements.

Cheers,
Alisa

RETIRED HiveWire 3D QAV Director