Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ bundling IRay with Studio (for free)

ghonma opened this issue on Mar 11, 2015 · 149 posts

pumeco posted Tue, 17 March 2015 at 10:44 AM

I use Unreal Engine, you can have all that in realtime :-)

They're always updating it, and while it's true that some things can still be baked, the point is, it's no hardship because it's still there in the same engine, you click one button and it's done.  The engine is good enough to get a damn good idea of what the finished look would be.  It's no big deal to hit a bake button at the end of your project to bake something critical.  But what I'm getting at here, mainly, is that the future of 3D graphics and animation is obviously realtime rendering.  I think spending development time creating bridges to other non-realtime engines is a waste for the most part, because at the end of the day, the renderer that is being bridged to is still not realtime.

As it stands right now, neither DS or Poser have a realtime renderer, and I can tell you this without a shadow of a doubt, whichever one of these competing programs manages to implement Unreal Engine first, is going to draw the customers at an alarming rate, I'm 100% confident about that.  But at the moment, I think both DAZ and SM are making a big mistake by wasting development time on connecting to things that do what the product can already do - non-realtime raytracing - it's nothing new.

Built-in Realtime viewports are the buzz now (and for good reason).

Put it this way, if DAZ had announced that Unreal Engine was running in it's viewport, I think Poser would be just about dead and buried.  Unreal Engine or it's like will eventually end up in the viewport of one of these programs (because Unreal Engine is the best of it's type).  But the question is, who will be first, and who will suffer for not being aware of the consequences of ignoring it.

Is the future realtime rendering?
Yes - that's obvious!

Have DAZ chosen wisely with IRay?
No - cause it's not realtime!

Will SM chose wisely with Unreal Engine?
Let's hope so, otherwise they might find DAZ will beat them to it, and that would be disastrous for Poser.

There's not a person using either DS or Poser that would prefer IRay in their viewport over Unreal Engine.  I've played with both, and I know for a fact which is best for feedback, best for visualisation, and best for productivity.  Best on all counts is the physically based, realtime engine called "Unreal Engine", so let's hope SM start making some good business decisions for Poser.

Can you imagine how amazing it would be to use the Poser you already know, but the render is live and stutter-free in the viewport?
That would be one incredibly desirable program.