Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ bundling IRay with Studio (for free)

ghonma opened this issue on Mar 11, 2015 · 149 posts

pumeco posted Wed, 18 March 2015 at 6:36 AM

@Male_M3dia
Can you explain that IRay thing a bit better cause I'm curious if what you mean is what I was trying to get it to do.  I followed your advice and got it going, I got a render out of it pretty damn quick.  Unfortunately though, I've not touched it since because the interactivity isn't there.  IRay feels a bit like Luxrender in use, so you move a scene and there's a pause before it'll show something.  Octane works much nicer, because it shows a low-pixel approximation while you rotate the camera, there is always a render on the screen no matter what quality it is.

That's why I can live with Octane but not Luxrender, and, it seems IRay is the same as Luxrender in that respect.

If what you're saying is that I can have that Octane-style feedback in IRay while I move the camera, please explain it, because that would make IRay a heck of a lot more desirable to me than it is right now.  Right now, I'm bored of it already because it's not interactive enough.  It's annoying to have that pause before showing a render, I'd rather see the remder being built-up than wait for it to reach a certain quality before it shows itself.  In Octane this is done in realtime as you move the camera, and in Unreal Engine there is no need to render at all.

If you can explain how to get IRay working at least the way Octane does, that would be fantastic!

@Zev0
But that's the problem, Unreal Engine isn't as easy to use as Poser, and if it were then I doubt I'd be using Poser or DS at all.  Poser has a great interface, but it lacks in quality hands-on animation tools and a realtime renderer.  None of these companies are best at everything.  Epic have the best renderer with Unreal Engine, DAZ has better animation tools than Poser with their puppeteer and aniMate system, and iClone blows even DAZ out of the water for animation tools.  But Poser has the best interface and it's that interface that is the only reason SM are still able to sell Poser when faced with competition like the free DS from DAZ.  Poser needs better animation tools though (desperately), so if that were mixed with the Unreal Engine all running inside the Poser interface, like I said, people would be swarming to Poser because it would be best at everything.

If SM don't do this stuff with Poser, DAZ will with DS, or indeed, someone might show-up out of the blue that allows you to load-in and render rigged Poser characters in the Unreal Engine environment.  It's going to be interesting to see what the major new features are in the next version of Poser, especially for me, cause what they announce will be pretty much a game-changer in that it will either scare me away from Poser altogether, or it will show that they're going along the right path.

The right path for Poser is a Realtime Renderer and desperately needed iClone-style animation tools.  We don't need more figure technology adding to complicate things even further.  We don't need another bunch of tweaks for that shitty Walk Designer from prehistoric times, we don't need interface improvements.  What we need is what the other programs have and are tempting people away from Poser, because if Poser doesn't catch up there, people will simply stop buying it.