Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ bundling IRay with Studio (for free)

ghonma opened this issue on Mar 11, 2015 · 149 posts

pumeco posted Sun, 22 March 2015 at 7:05 AM

@Wolf
I do enjoy discussing stuff with you, but I'm not going to while you're in arrogance mode!

@Moogal
I wouldn't be so bothered about actual realtime if only the Firefly renderer would harness the power of my CUDA Cores to accelerate the rendering.  I donlt expect it to behave like octane, but it would be nice to have it use that computing power somehow.  I know Poser's Firefly gets a lot of flack, but personally I think it's very fine render engine with a very powerful node system.  I'd love to see it get a performance boost from the GPU.

@Shane
But Unreal Engine being difficult to use is irrelevant when it's running inside the Poser viewport.  It being in Poser would give us genuine realtime rendering, and at the same time, make it as easy to use as the Poser interface you're used to using right now.  It would also attract Unreal Engine users to Poser, because they'd have an easy to use environment for creating and working with figures for Unreal Engine, and due to the popularity of such things, I reckon having that inside Poser can only be good for sales, development, and promotion.

I think the move towards catering for game development was a good one, but they need to bring that environment into the familiar interface of Poser.  There can be nothing better for a game developer than being able to develiop their game content in an environment that uses the exact same renderer as the game engine they're developing for.  People might say, ah, but what if I want to develop for Unity or CryEngine.  Unfortunately, those engines arenlt on the same level for reltime rendering as unreal Engine is, so SM would be better to go for Unreal Engine if they did this.

They have to choose the right engine, because if they don't, the competition will choose it instead, they'll use that engine to pull in the customers.  So it's not just a question of getting a realtime engine into Poser's viewport, it has to be the right engine.  The right engine for a realism point of view, the one that demonstrates the best expertise, is Unreal Engine.  That's not to dismiss the competing engines, they're amazing as well, but they're just not as good as Unreal Engine in a visual sense, and if such an engine makes it's way into Poser, realism is going to be vital.

I realise this is all fantasy and wishful thinking, but seriously, having Unreal Engine running live in the Poser viewport would be seriously addictive!