Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ bundling IRay with Studio (for free)

ghonma opened this issue on Mar 11, 2015 · 149 posts

moogal posted Sun, 22 March 2015 at 6:53 PM

@Moogal
I wouldn't be so bothered about actual realtime if only the Firefly renderer would harness the power of my CUDA Cores to accelerate the rendering.  I donlt expect it to behave like octane, but it would be nice to have it use that computing power somehow.  I know Poser's Firefly gets a lot of flack, but personally I think it's very fine render engine with a very powerful node system.  I'd love to see it get a performance boost from the GPU.

I wasn't complaining about Firefly at all, just noticing that the way it renders in buckets (and also the way the progressive renderers work) is very different than the game engines' method.  With a "real time" renderer you don't normally see the frames being created, rather a frame is displayed until the next one replaces it.  I was just thinking that no matter how fast computers become, Firefly would never work as a real time engine for that reason.

Yes, some kind of OpenCL optimization would be nice, but I expect to see the viewport further improved before Firefly is able to leverage GPU resources.