Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: DAZ bundling IRay with Studio (for free)

ghonma opened this issue on Mar 11, 2015 · 149 posts

moogal posted Mon, 23 March 2015 at 12:17 PM

Yes some people use its Figures for Pre-visualization renders of scenes&concepts
( within Iclone)

However its true strength is the Optional "3D exchange"

motion retargeting Application that takes your rig from your

chosen app (MAX ,Maya Daz studio)

and retargets those amazing Character motions you created & previewed in "realtime" and sends the motion the Data back your

rig in your Full CG Application for rendering.

Look...I get... it RealIllusion wants to provide a more complete

internal  rendering solution for customers who dont use MAX,Maya etc. and would like to complete their final projects within Iclone

Indeed there is a Daz user who is making a Movie with

IClone 6,Genesis and rendering it in Indigo and it is looking great!!

but he warns that you need hardware that would make most  highend gamers drool.

Not everyone can afford that, but bloody good for those who can.

Ok, thanks, that was the kind of answer I was hoping for.  I don't mess with Autodesk's stuff, so while I was aware that Reallusion had licensed Motionbuilder I really didn't know much about it.  Poser seems to have settled into the niche of making glamour shots, and beauty renders...  I say this because of comments comparing it to modern "AAA" games (GTA5, The Order 1886, etc.) and finding the games wanting.  In my opinion games are looking far superior to what most people are doing with Poser simply because of the expansive environments, extensive motion capture and modern hair/cloth sims working independently and simultaneously.  I suppose if I only looked at the figures' skin shaders, or tried discerning polygons in the silhouette I might still give the edge to Poser.  But I'd rather have the dense crowds of Assassin's Creed or the sprawling highways of GTA than two or three marginally improved characters on a soundstage with matte painted backdrop.  Yes, apples to oranges I know, but it seems to have been lost in the discussion that the game engines don't just render quickly they also handle large environments and populated scenes better.  Some say the game engines don't work well with figures of the polycounts that people use with Poser.  Is this even true?  I'm still using Poser figures from 10 years ago, and I'd venture that most modern games' lead characters are of similar detail.  Are we only counting the actual polygons of the object file?  When you figure in the real time tesselation that's become common place I could see the games actually having higher on-screen poly counts.  I know that some figure's polys counts have even gone down as Poser and D|S both have subdivision implemented to make up the difference... I bought iClone6 but I'm too involved in other things to really mess around with it (simply wanted to get it on discount and then patiently wait for the more annoying bugs to be discovered and squished).  I didn't think those low poly characters looked that bad, nor did I think they were indicative of the program's ability to push polygons around.  Honestly, seeing those characters' hair flowing and the clothing draping in real time, iClone looked to be an obvious improvement for animating.  Sure, it needs indigo to compete with Firefly and I suppose those avatars will never be a threat to Vicki or Genesis, but on the other hand how does Poser compete with iClone for outputting animation?  How far would one have to turn down FIrefly's render quality to approximate iClone's renderer and how much faster would iClone still be?  (I think enhancing the OpenGL renderer makes more sense than trying to replace Firefly with UE4, but I don't know how far they can really take it.  I'd thought by now we'd have gotten parallax mapping at least.  Preview output is useless if you use a lot of displacements.  This is another place iClone looks to have a distinct advantage.)

The Daz user using iClone to make a movie...  Is that the sci-fi one Reallusion were showing off a few months ago?  I was not aware that it was rendered in Indigo, though looking back I suppose it should have been obvious.  Both programs' differences aside, I have never known anything remotely like that to come out of Poser.  I want to think it can be done, but I haven't seen much evidence for it yet.