Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Idea for a combined Freebie and tutorial

SamTherapy opened this issue on Feb 16, 2015 · 43 posts

Redfern posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 10:16 PM

I used to "roll" my eyes at the "Tenth Planet" design, considering it embarrassingly low budget, all but sneering at the "ski mask".  Until one day at one of the dedicated Doctor Who discussion sites someone uttered two seemingly innocuous words, "surgical bandages".  Like the flipping of the switch, I saw the Mondas Cybermen in a totally different light.  I pictured a patient within the operating theater.  His respiratory and circulatory systems are bypassed with a compact heart/lung machine sitting upon a nearby table.  He's fitted with a thermal regulating suit that can raise or lower his body temperature as needed.  His face is wrapped in bandages.  And rather than chemical or gaseous compounds for anesthesia, a nerve blocking "cap" is placed upon his skull.  Suddenly, the patient's eyes snap open.  He rises from the operating table and in a daze, seizes the internally powered heart/lung device and clutches it to his chest as he staggers zombie-like from the surgical theater, the operating staff too shocked to try detaining the patient.

Now, I'm not saying that's how the Cybermen actually started, but I think it helps "sell" the design as depicted in the 1966 serial and thus makes it the most unsettling of the Cyberman motifs.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!