Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: should hair be anistropics in material

atpo opened this issue on Apr 02, 2015 ยท 26 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 02 April 2015 at 3:06 PM

Now for the secondary highlight, we can only sort of do the right thing. The secondary highlight is shifted and color intensified - it is caused by the hair shape, which is covered in slanted scales, as well as internal reflections and refractions, which transport the light away from where it entered. We cannot do this effect in Poser. If I could supply a normal map value for each anisotropic node by itself, I could do it better - but they (SM) didn't think of that - so no.

So I do this - which is better than nothing. I make another color from HSV of the color map - this time I'm increasing saturation and brightness. For brown hair you want to find a nicely matched gold color. For black it should be closer to gray or even blue. You can tint a bit using the color chip as well - although I did not have to here. I raised the Value to 10 so it is nice and bright.

The V highlight size is bigger here in the anisotropic node. This makes the band of highlight wider.

file_eb160de1de89d9058fcb0b968dbbbd68.pn

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)