Forum: Community Center

Subject: Setting records straight,

structure opened this issue on Mar 28, 2015 · 46 posts

Razor42 posted Wed, 08 April 2015 at 9:39 PM

Renderosity as a community site has unfortunately flat lined and is quite dead. And probably has been that way for quite a while, its just in that halfway zombie stage where it hasn't quite realised that it's missing vital organs. There are systemic problems in a number of area's including a culture of bullying that extends from some of Renderosity's staff (Watch for CAPS) to some site Members and it impacts on Vendors, Buyers and Users alike. There is also an inability of the site administration to take on board any criticism and steer the site in a direction that most people would agree with and would like to see implemented, it seems to be cultural in nature and unlikely to change any time soon.

If its not bullying then it's just general disconnect with the renderosity user base and the actual 3D art world in general. People come here for community but are instead faced with tight Clique's and a shut up and buy culture. We are all treated as little people with quite insignificant opinions that don't really matter, as the faceless majority supposedly all love the new changes, it just doesn't seem I know any of them.

I'm not going to go into the issues with the sites general functionality in general as the list is quite long as most of you know already.

I'm heading for the door, and while I'm not going to be able to delete my account.

I have removed my avatar thumbnail to show that I'm really not here anymore. Consider also deleting your thumb if you're tired of the situation here.

While it is disappointing after being here for 12yrs and really caring about the community and site. I feel I need to look to the future and the best thing to do with a sinking ship is move away or be sucked down with it.

In Regards to Daz Vs Poser.

I have both the latest DS installed and also Poser 9 which to be honest I haven't opened in quite a while and can't come up with good enough reasons to pay for an upgrade for it.

In my experience there is a group here that have made a habit of DAZ bashing over the years, who are now faced with a reality that Poser is actually in decline and the market is shifting elsewhere. Screaming "it's not fair" and "Why don't Vendors make more stuff for Poser 7?" hasn't gained much traction in reversing the trend, so most are now in a state of denial and are a little like a cornered animal baring fangs. Lets face it Renderosity barely supports Daz Studio and is totally out of touch with the new market that is emerging to support it. If you actually believe Renderosity supports DS go to the Daz Forum and have a quick look at the FAQ for DS. Or the mass of "Not tested in Daz Studio" tags in the marketplace. Really you can't be bothered to download a free program and test your product in it?

So whats left for Renderosity? At a guess I would expect over the next few years you will see Renderosity likely dissolve back into a small hobbyist site and I'm sure there are plenty of old hats here that would prefer it that way. If you are interested you can compare traffic for sites with tools like similarweb.com, just for reference Daz3D receives well over double the traffic of Renderosity these days. It does make you wonder what will happen to all of your purchases if this site ever folds up.

Anyways good luck for those that choose to keep with it, Im sure the oasis is just over the next hill, I just hope its not too salty to for you.