Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT - Anyone Here Play a REAL Guitar?

pumeco opened this issue on Sep 29, 2014 · 51 posts

pumeco posted Fri, 08 May 2015 at 9:34 AM

@Boni
Been looking into that Ampeg, have to say it does look like a nice peice of kit but to buy one is way out of my humble budget.  Just found one on ebay and let's just say it's price is in the thousands, not hundreds :-D

Not all is lost though, cause I've been looking at the schematic for it and it would be pretty easy to build my own if I wanted.  I'm having to build my own EQ anyway, the only problem building something like that Ampeg, is the valves, cause even with an exact replica of the circuit, there's no guarantee they used the default valves in their unit.

Fun stuff!

@RorrKonn
It's hard to explain it, it's a bit like describing a face to someone, they'll only get it if they know the face.  The most basic way to answer you is to split it into two.  The first part is the analogue, and that's easy, because to get analogue sound you have to use analogue gear, there's no ifs and no buts, despite what some of the loonies and software producers out there will tell you.

Analogue is analogue, and digital ... isn't ... that's the easy part.

The hard part is explaining a tone because unlike digital, analogue is organic and has no 'set in stone' limit like digital tone does.  For me to explain it to you you'd need to understand saturation and the difference between shelving and peaking filters etc.  The two videos I posted on the first page demonstrate it, but without understanding that stuff I just mentioned (or maybe you do), you would have no idea how the tone I'm talking about is present in both those videos.  I like the sound of both those videos you just posted, but I like them for different aspects.

I think what I'll do is just buy a Waldorf 2-Pole.  That's a very interesting box of tricks because it combines three types of filters, an envelope follower, and get this, three types of distortion in one box, and it's completely analogue, in to out.  It's not really designed as a distortion tool as such, but it's an incredibly powerful device and I've not see a single person on YouTube use it properly yet - even the manufacturers own video was pretty clueless.  I could use that as a distortion unit, wah-wah, filter, envelope follower, trance gate, and a whole bunch of stuff.  I think I'll just buy that and add it to my own analogue EQ unit.

Anyway, here it is (might even get it ordered today), the woman has a hot accent but she has very hairy arms - maybe it's a German thing: