Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Victoria 7

DalekSupreme opened this issue on Jun 23, 2015 ยท 332 posts

macsavers posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 11:18 AM

I think people are confusing Victoria 5, 6 and 7 to be equal to V4. That's not really the case here. Genesis supplanted the Victoria series. G1, G2F, G2M and G3F are all free from Daz. Victoria is a custom morph of a Genesis figure, not the other way around. Basically, Victoria 4 evolved into Genesis 1, not Victoria 5. You could get the free Genesis figures and still do a ton of stuff without Victoria. Quit frankly, I don't think I've actually used V5 or V6. I tended to get really nice V4 characters and convert them for use for G1. I preferred the ability to use clothing for G1 and have it work for Male or Female, although not every outfit is optimal depending on if it was a V4 or M4 outfit. Still, a lot more versatility and it was significantly faster to render than even V4.

Genesis 3 is nice, no doubt. She renders well, although slower. If you want the Victoria 7 model of G3F, you'll only get an Iray skin, so in my mind she's extremely limited in what you can do with her. She can use G2F clothing, but that's where it ends unfortunately. I bought V7, but I'm seriously reconsidering buying any future Victoria's or Michael's since they are basically just morphs on a free model. G3F's model is no worse than V7. If vendors are smart, they will make new G3F characters NOT require V7. This will give people more options and less to purchase or require.

I have to agree that I don't like the fact that it can't move to Poser, but when you look at the geometry of the new Genesis 3 character, you realize that Poser couldn't handle it anyways. Poser has a different direction in mind for their product and Daz has theirs. I think we have to understand from this point forward that the two will never again be on the same path for future development. Das builds Studio to get people to spend on content. Poser uses existing content to get you to purchase their product. I prefer to get free software so I can keep buying more content, but that's just me.

Even with the new G3 models, G1 will still be my goto character. The flexibility is just too strong for me. The renders are great and I rarely do any character that isn't clothed. If I was doing some more studio photography like art with swimsuits or cough artistic options, then I could seriously consider using G3 just due to the incredible model with much better facial features and absolutely amazing bends. I think I'll stick with just G3 though. I bought V7, but I doubt I'll use her. I can't really use Iray as it takes 25x longer to render on my computer and I have a nVidia GPU. Go figure.