Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Victoria 7

DalekSupreme opened this issue on Jun 23, 2015 · 332 posts

demiurgent posted Wed, 24 June 2015 at 11:33 AM

Like a lot of folks I grabbed G3F and the starter stuff, and I've been playing around with it. It shows a lot of promise -- I love the expressiveness of the G3F model, and posing is looking really cool so far.

So, somewhere around Christmas, I'm looking forward to grabbing some V7/G3 paid content.

Why so long? Because it'll take some time before critical infrastructure moves into place. Morph packages beyond the initial run. Clothing that really takes advantage of the new tech. Skins. Skins. Skins. Also skins.

It'll also take time for the development crowd to build the bridging tools. Right now, I have a huge investment in (that word again) skins. I have to believe that someone will come up with a converter that will let us use G2F and G2M skins with G3F. Similarly, I have to believe that Dimension3D will come out with Gen3X to let us migrate morphs. It won't necessarily be easy, and the results may not be optimum, but it'll happen.

In the meantime... Daz3D isn't going to stop producing G2F content tomorrow. There's inertia to these things. For months to come, Daz will still produce things for G2F and G2M, just like they've released 3Delight/Uber shaders after IRay came out. There's a lot of producers who have a lot of stuff in current development -- those pipelines don't close the instant things change on the tech line.

And when the G2F/G2M/et cetera pipeline at Daz does dry up? Well, I have a Renderosity membership for a lot of reasons, and one of those is legacy support. Looking at today's "What's New" page in the Marketplace I quickly count 14 products with explicit support for Victoria 4 or Michael 4 (which also means support for G2F/G2M for my purposes). So long as people are buying content for G2F/G2M, content will be made for them, the same way that content continues to be made for Victoria 4 and her ilk. Gen2X also means I've been able to move my G2 stuff down into Genesis with little trouble, so I've never felt like I couldn't keep using Genesis as needed. I again assume someone will be amazingly clever in building 'downgrade' bridges. They always are.

(And yes, I realize Poser is a major market for continuing V4 support. That doesn't change the fact that I can use most of that content with my current figures, which are pretty much all Genesis 2. For that matter, that doesn't change the fact that I actually own Poser too.)

So, chalk me up as someone who likes the look of the new generation and the direction of the technology, but who doesn't plan on investing in it until there's a broad base for it, especially because his current tech's not going anywhere and is going to have new stuff come in for it for a long time to come.

(Besides, that's money I can spend on IRay shaders. That's the technology I jumped into on day one. Soooo much money falling into IRay shaders....)