Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Victoria 7

DalekSupreme opened this issue on Jun 23, 2015 · 332 posts

IceEmpress posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 3:08 AM

The issue isn't with the Poser users so much it's with the lack of support from the Poser developers for 3rd party content development.
It's becoming harder and harder to consolidate what can be made in DS and Poser to an equal level without quadruple the work load. But I'm sure you are probably familiar with all of these viewpoints.
I can never remember all of them though, in addition to having a vague memory of the folks at the Content Paradise forums (back when they still existed) blaming Daz for the lack of support for some reason (actually, I think I do remember one point-- their excuse was that Daz's Tri-ax being proprietary, which they had issues with though I do not recall anything more than that.)
I agree 100% that in the past 2 years that SM is the one who has been dropping the ball, and not just on DAZ Support either (as both MaleM3dia and I have noted, their customer support button is broken, as is the Commercial button.  The CP forums were shut down 2 or 3 years ago.  Thus, the only way to contact them is via the phone number listed at the bottom, and who knows if even that works?)

There's a lot of BS going around lately. I don't know why people don't understand they can use both programs if they want to and who cares which?
Many people, myself included, don't want to have to learn the intermediate to advanced procedures, way in which shaders work, etc. for two whole programs.  That is a lot to keep track of, esp. for someone who is not tech savvy enough to be able to just pick up any program and go.

Or maybe SM is losing the battle because they don't do more OF that.
I think it's both, but esp. the latter.  It doesn't help that SM seems to have almost abandoned its own site in favor of sales through third party sites (the broken support/become a vendor links, removed its forums, no site redesign, the product categories having problems for years, holding your purchased downloads for annual ransom, etc)

Did you know that renderosity strongly encourages products to be exclusive to them? I'm betting that they and DAZ are not the only ones who prefer content to be exclusive to their site. It is just good business.
I don't like that they do that, personally, though I have no problem with lower rewards for non-exclusive sales.  RDNA is worse-- they REQUIRE that all products be exclusives, which is probably the main reason why they lag so far behind DAZ and Rendo. (it certainly isn't due to the quality of their products, that's for sure!)

That is just well...poop. How does going to an industry standard prevent any hobbyist from continuing to do exactly what they are already doing?
Well, it prevents Poser users from doing so.  Joining the industry standard means making everything more complicated and less backwards-compatible with DAZ, and necessitate a top-of-the-line computer/graphics card, which is we are already seeing with both Iray and G3F. My comp has enough trouble with Genesis 2 and 3Delight.

Redoing the importer for the new weight mapping and manipulation of all the new bones and facial wasn't worth the effort and wouldn't return on the investment.
That's my point.  They shouldn't have designed her like that, let alone released her for another year or so, in the first place.  Keep her rigging close enough to the older figures and use the same 1/0 UV mapping.  Don't change everything just to sell out to the big leagues.  DAZ is abandoning its roots. 

Why is it that people forget that out of the life span of Studio it was only pay for for a very short time. DAZ realized that it was a mistake to try and sell it when they did much better financially if it was free.
I wouldn't say that's something to be grateful for, since it's not an act of altruism.  The "free to play" model has been adopted widely by the gaming industry, and much to my chagrin and that of others, it will probably phase out one-time payment games/licenses out completely within a few decades.  Daz has modelled its business model off of the "free to play" gaming industry because it is indeed far more profitable than a pay-once license (even though in the free to play gaming industry, only a whopping 2% of players actually make purchases.)  Though thankfully DAZ has not adopted the vile standards of the free to play industry. (which IS something to be grateful for)  Though to be honest I'm not sure how it would even be possible due to differences between gaming and 3D software (beyond-- as an excellent comparison, giving devs who pre-order the DAZ 5 SDK extra features that will never again be available, thus giving them an unfair advantage over other PAs)

Poser users slammed Dson and vowed to boycott it now they want it?
I wouldn't say they wanted it-- more that it was taken as a "better than nothing" option at some point during Gen2.  Sure, many refused to use Dson at all-- many others used it SOME but found it to be lacking or too much of a hassle to use.  Then there are those who found work-arounds and have enjoyed Genesis 2 in Poser.  I have no idea what the ratio of any of them are, since all most of us (including most vendors aside from those who sell Poser-only G2F content) or how many of the latter two categories there are, since all we see are forumites and freebie makers who fall under one of the three categories. 
It goes beyond G3F however-- the implications here are that the Daz Dragon 4 probably won't have Dson support at all (since Daz Dragon 3 was Dson only with no Poser native files)  I have seen complaints on Daz Dragon x Rendo product pages when Poser materials are not provided.

While we are in the real try vs. bitching upon hypothesis subject, I suggest you to explore for real how Iray and G3 work on your box. On my six years old workhorse main computer they work pleasantly, on my lowly 500 euro notebook with an entry level NVIDIA card even better.
My computer is 5 years old without an Nvidia graphics card, so I can't try it out even if I wanted to, and I can't afford a new computer.