Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Victoria 7

DalekSupreme opened this issue on Jun 23, 2015 · 332 posts

IceEmpress posted Thu, 25 June 2015 at 11:59 AM

SM was basically asleep behind the wheel for the last decade, but DAZ going all out "professional" will shut out a lot of hobbyists who are just in it for the fun.
Exactly.  Expect DAZ to get more "complex" and less user-friendly (also known as "locked" by Linux/Ubuntu/MAX/Blender users)  Expect freebies (including PC+ freebies) to be either static (we already have a bunch of those, but I'm talking about just stagnant freebies) or for them to grind down to 1 freebie per month, just like the industry standard.
Someone may only want to buy a single model for an indie license, rather than a license for everything on the site.  So out with the low hobbyist prices, in with the "prohibitively expensive because it comes with a dev license just like TurboSquid and CGTrader models" prices.  Finally, expect the industry standard of woefully unfriendly search and dropdown category features just like you see on TurboSquid, CGTrader, etc. (no, I mean even WORSE than what Daz has now-- FAR worse)  Welcome to the industry standard, everybody!

But this is a direct result of DAZ "going professional". They are relegating artists that really want to work with G3 to mere customers.
Yes.  Which really smacks in the face when you consider that a LOT of these professionals (I do not know the percentage however) look down upon getting a commercial license to use someone else's models rather than make/rig one themselves from scratch.   This includes freeware game devs as well, BTW (though they don't seem to have a problem with using models in an UNREAL Engine-based game that were ripped off of videogames for XNALara, strangely enough)

If you think it is bad as an artist, try being a programmer for a living.
That is, in fact, one of the reasons that this bothers me-- the little guy can't keep up with the technology, but the big leagues don't give a crap.  It feels like DAZ is doing the same thing to PAs (esp. the small-time ones as opposed to those who know their way around DAZ, ZBrush, and whatever else they use like. 
The technology thing also greatly bothers me due to the crisis we ALREADY have as a result of automation-- and it's only going to get worse-- eventually, there won't be any entry-level jobs left (they will be replaced entirely by automation and the one or two mechanics/programmers/engineers/whar have you who supervise the machinery)  My soul mate is a pharmacy tech-- he doesn't believe me, but chances are he will lose his job to a combination of automated machinery, dispensers, and an AI that does the prescription fact-checking-- in a decade or less.  It's just a matter of developing that AI and making it feasible for pharmacies and retailers throughout the country to adopt it.
Folks, this is what the passage of time, and fast-paced technology gets you.