Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Victoria 7

DalekSupreme opened this issue on Jun 23, 2015 · 332 posts

Razor42 posted Wed, 01 July 2015 at 8:46 PM

Just like how Autodesk doesn't create any significant content on their own, which is why no one would ever consider using Maya, Softimage or 3ds Max, amirite? No. You're not right, in fact you're so wrong you just divided by zero.

Comparing Poser to Autodesk's software is like comparing an old dusty VCR to the entertainment industry.

Your VCR is useless if you don't have any content to go with it.

That whooshing sound was my point going by. DAZ Studio is absolutely no different in that regard: delete all your content, and what are you going to use Studio for, hmm? My point was that just because the software company doesn't provide content does not mean by definition the software is useless or less valuable or whatever.

Think about your VCR analogy, or any related kind of technology: just because Samsung doesn't produce movies doesn't mean their product for watching or recording said movies is worthless. It just means there's a separate market to supply the content for them. No one says my TV on the wall is worthless because Samsung doesn't produce any television shows that appear on it. If people went around proclaiming that "Hey Samsung doesn't have any equivalent to Game of Thrones! Man, their TVs suck!", people would wonder what was wrong with them, and yet when people go around saying "Man, Smith-Micro has nothing like the DAZ Figures, so Poser sucks", people nod sagely even though those are two identical statements.

This isn't slagging Studio users: the Poser users who think that the most important thing that can appear in the next version is a new figure make the same mistake.

Complaining that a piece of software doesn't do X, or that another program can do Y better, or that X can't handle content Y can, that's fair and legit because you're comparing apples and apples.

Hmm,  content wars are a common tomb stone marker for many a one time successful or startup venture. When you go buy a console do you get the one that is powered by a fusion generator with one game or the one that is still powerful but has 1000's of game choices including some that are considered the best games. To ignore the fact that content, whether created by the platform creator or not, is integral to the viability of a platform is just putting your head in the sand. So what you're saying is that it's more important that my car can do 3000 miles per hour which is far better than your car, the fact that it runs on Helium 3 is unimportant? DS is very different it's creators are also the largest content market in this sector and that is a very important difference. Okay and maybe it's not true to say Poser doesn't have new figures but maybe more accurate to say it doesn't have any modern figures.